Flying United Airlines with a firearm questions

big7fan

flying United Airlines...... continental US.... with a long gun.
It was really difficult to get information,
United website states that as long as it's secure in a hard sided case with TSA approved locks it can go as a "checked bag".
Finally talked to a guy that said it was going to be $150 as long as it was shorter than 62 inches long.

any experience and info would be appreciated.
Thanks

flying United Airlines...... continental US.... with a long gun.
It was really difficult to get information,
United website states that as long as it's secure in a hard sided case with TSA approved locks it can go as a "checked bag".
Finally talked to a guy that said it was going to be $150 as long as it was shorter than 62 inches long.

any experience and info would be appreciated.
Thanks
It has been a while since flying United both National and International. Didn't have any issues with a Aluminum Hard Case (2) locks TSA Approved.
The worst part is that you will get charged for "EXTRA" baggage and may be even more than the price of a seat on the jet.
Also get yourself GPS tracker to put in the case.

If it's under 50lbs it counts as checked bag. Just flew United and paid $45 to check gun in. I'd NEVER put TSA locks on my gun case. No one needs access to your gun case except you. If there is a problem when they run it through the X-ray machine, you can unlock your case and let them look in it. I always run my personal combination locks and hang out near the check in counter until I get the all clear from the airline on my rifle. I do fly w rifles several times a year and all over the United States and Canada. I've never had an issue.

Last edited:
Well I have never flown on United with a firearm but have flown to SA twice and multiple places in the United States. It had to be a locked case and it does not have to be TSA approved locks but if they want to inspect they will cut them off an zip tie it back together. They have always been charged as my second bag. Never an additional cost but most of my flying is done on Delta.

Quick reply to what I wrote above. Here's the guidelines from TSA. Some
TSA agents that don't know their own rules will try to tell you you need TSA locks. That's not the policy.
8DDF31B5-587A-482F-95BF-DE63C6AE72B6.jpeg

There is a baggage calculator on United's website. That allows you to know what they will sting you for at the counter. Also, it may be cheaper to send FFL to FFL depends on where and how far your going.
Yes maybe cheaper to ship to a FFL through the system UPS, FEDX. Especially AMMO maybe to someone where you are going. The Airlines have a limit on how much ammo you can fly with.

No TSA locks for me - haven't had an issue flying with my rifle this way. You'll show them the rifle when you check in, declare it's unloaded, and lock it up.

For ammo, you can travel with up to 11 lbs last time I checked. That's quite a few boxes.

I have traveled several times to Africa. Several times as a international flight with United as the originator. Always just checked as sporting equipment and no extra for oversize fees that way. Domestic you should be charged for a normal check through bag and no more.
Do not use a TSA lock. Every hole for a lock must have one in it. When you check in be sure they give you a declaration that your firearm is unloaded. Sign it and and put it in with your rifle. From luggage check in it should go to TSA for a inspection. You normally should go with them. Especially if you have relocked your case which I always do. I use a tuffpack so they have to use my key to relock for travel after inspection. After TSA inspects your rifle they should relock the case. Then the case heads off to the plane and you can too. Variations occur depending on airports and season. Denver during hunting season goes pretty smoothly. California maybe not so easy.....
Bruce
Bruce

Thanks for sharing your experiences, I'm going back to Pennsylvania in May to a long range class and will be flying with rifle, ammo, and suppressor. My question to you guy's is there any different requirements to fly with a suppressor other then to have a copy of your paper work with it?

Sometimes it depends on the airport too. It has been a few years, but when my brother passed away, he left some firearms (a couple of rifles and four handguns) that my nephews and niece did not want/know what to do with. I landed at LAX but told my nephew I would be flying out of Santa Maria Airport. I got him wondering why I wanted to fly out of a small airport until the day of my departure. When I got to the check-in counter, I asked a TSA agent to inspect my case before I locked it. During this time, the TSA agent asked me about hunting in Montana. My nephew finally realized why I was flying out of the small airport; I just smiled.