Flyers in group

bgilli2

So I have a new custom .30-06 and got a good load. Today it would shoot one dead bullseye and the next would be inch low and inch right. My group was in dime size at 100 yardson bullseye but I had 3 in the same spot inch low and inch right.

Am I pulling the shot some of the time? Causing it to shoot a little right and low every third shot? What could cause this type of pattern? Thanks for any help.

Low right is indicative of right hand shooter clutching the trigger, rather than squeezing. A possibility to examine.

If it's a custom built rifle then there should have been some test targets come with the gun that the gunsmith shot to prove it's basic accuracy. What you describe is a double group and that could be a faulty scope or loose scope mount.
When in doubt always suspect the scope mount first and then the scope and then the projectiles and then the load , bad brass could be at fault , try new cases , If all check out ok then suspect you and then the gun.
30-06 has a bit of recoil so you may not be controlling the recoil all the time or trying to shoot it like a low recoil BR gun . You don't say how you ae shooting it but try firming up your hold and hold the forend down on the rest if not using a bi-pod .

If it's a custom built rifle then there should have been some test targets come with the gun that the gunsmith shot to prove it's basic accuracy. What you describe is a double group and that could be a faulty scope or loose scope mount.
When in doubt always suspect the scope mount first and then the scope and then the projectiles and then the load , bad brass could be at fault , try new cases , If all check out ok then suspect you and then the gun.
30-06 has a bit of recoil so you may not be controlling the recoil all the time or trying to shoot it like a low recoil BR gun . You don't say how you ae shooting it but try firming up your hold and hold the forend down on the rest if not using a bi-pod .

Excellent information! I was bothered I didn't have better suggestions.

Not enough clear info, how are you shooting bipod, bench rest, bags etc load data

How many shot grousps (3 shots) two with a flyer (5shots) two in one hole three in the other?

if it is two grouping seating depth is the first thing to deal with.

Thanks for the great info. I am shooting off a bench with bags on front and supporting rear. It's a nightforce scope. TPS rings and bases. All solid and tight. I am trying to squeeze them off very easy and probably not holding on tight enough. Not a big rifle either. About 11 pounds with scope and everything. That help explain?

Are there any sling studs on the stock , as they could be digging into the bags and upsetting recoil tracking.
A photo of your setup is worth a thousand words. I once got a guy in Germany to send me a photo of his rifle set up to shoot on the bench at his range.
Well the mistakes were then obvious, Rear bag bacwards , sling studs catching , bench system was a rickity floppy thing , front bags looked like a pile of cow dung . etc etc. A rifle with some recoil fired from the bench needs a good solid rest setup that will not collapse and move about each time you fire. Or an Atlas bi-pod at the front and a Protektor rear bag .

Yes. Has sling studs and was not careful at all in how I set it up each time. So recoil can effect bullet travel? I thought by the time the gun recoils the bullet was long gone... Am I wrong?

Yes. Has sling studs and was not careful at all in how I set it up each time. So recoil can effect bullet travel? I thought by the time the gun recoils the bullet was long gone... Am I wrong?

Your barrel will move about 1/8" before the bullet is out of the barrel. Your hold, rest, trigger pull, and follow through will all effect accuracy. Consistency is critical.

Yes unfortunately you are wrong. The recoil also up-setts the bag positions after each shot . Sling studs will catch and bags will be messed up and smooth recoil upset. The less you control it the worse it happens but you can't control all the recoil of a 30-06 . Atlas bi-pod and Protektor rear bag would be good for you .

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.