Flyers from the STW

WapitiBob

I'm getting things dialed in but flyers remain.
The TSX 200 yard target was with multi fired brass, annealed by me, full length sized, std 7STW expander type sizer. Loaded necks .311 +- .0002, fired necks are .318 +- .0002 with .0005 max run out. Powder measured to one kernal. Seating depth +- .001 to ogive.
I have no chrono, no idea of loaded bullet runout, and never have turned a neck. I need to check loaded cartridge runout to eliminate that variable. I'm wondering about neck tension and if turning necks and going to a bushing neck sizer might be a good move?

140%20tsx%204-3-2015_zps7ipcpioo.jpg

Nosler factory 100 yard target is with Trophy Grade 160 AccuBond.

factory%20160%20AB%205-4-2015_zpsn0u6tvri.jpg

Is the flyer random on on the last shot? I have found some guns especially light weight guns or thin barreled ones will shoot fliers if they get a bit too warm. Based on the groups if you're consistently getting those groups it seems you're on the right track and I have found some guns of mine will do that if I let them get too hot. I don't know anything about the gun but I have seen that happen.

WB, next time that happens( the flyer) mark the brass with a sharpie or somehow. When you get back home measure and weigh the case. I have had that happen before and sometimes it is the case not the shooter. Most times it is the shooter but check the case to make sure it weighs close to the other cases. I like the bushing neck sizer to keep my neck tension the same. Light barrel will heat up and shift impact. I have a light weight. 300 WM that will shoot 2 in one hole 3 rd shot moves on me. Good Luck to You.

One at a time or from the magazine? Sometimes magnums will re-seat the rounds to a different COAL under recoil. If you didn't shoot them one at a time, maybe try that next.

I've also found that if you let a loaded round with some of the RL series powders sit in the chamber during a string for more than 30-45 seconds, that case/powder will absorb the heat from the chamber and cause a substantial rise in the MV, throwing that round out of the group.

Just some thoughts...

Good luck getting it figured out

How did you go about picking the seating depth for your bullets? I have recently been working up loads for a .338 edge +P with 300 gr bergers. My procedure started out with new brass with minimum loads, adjusting seating depth first. I started at .130 off lands and progressed to within .010 of the lands in .040" increments always watching for pressure. Groups varied from .80" to .28" at 100 yds using the same powder charge, all of the groups outside of the seating sweet spot exhibited single flyers throwing the group out. I shot multiple groups with the same result leading me to believe that the seating depth was the major contributor to the flyers in my setup. Not saying that it would work in your case but I think that is where I would start first if this option has not been explored. As always start with safe loads and work in from there, I am not sure how sensitive your round is to seating depth but after loading extensively for a short throated 7 RUM I can assure that pressure can and will change with seating depth, sometimes to a great degree making the load unsafe.

looks like rather normal accuracy to me... You may watch what you are doing with rifle hold as you may be changing either down pressure or cheek weld a bit pushing an odd one out... Happens to me once in a while at a busy range if someone talks nearby or touches off a rifle as I'm pulling up trigger slack. I'll forget to watch the rifle control as much and I'll toss one a bit out.

I'd bet though that if you kept shooting into that target the group would be in the .4 to .6 moa range and rather uniform after a spell... looks like your rifle has come together well.
Talk of 7stw's makes me wish mine was here; it's at the 'smith getting the headspace reset at present. I should get it back soon...

How light is your trigger? I wouldn't touch a thing if I was shooting groups like that at 200 with a hunting gun/load.

eshore, yes I feed one at a time.

Cj, oal comes from the STW guys, it's a common length that has proven to work. My next round of testing will be to adjust on each side of current depth to see if anything improves.

Lefty, that's kind of where I'm leaning. The rifle is coming around but maybe these last two years has brought me around more.

Jst, no idea. I put in a Jewell trigger from No Off Season and haven't touched it. I think factory is 2 or 2 1/2. I always said all I want is a 1/2 minute gun. If I can hit a 1" dot at 200 and carry that out to 600 I think I'll be happy. I don't see myself shooting a critter past 600 at this point.

Thanks for taking the time to post guys, much appreciated. Lefty knows how my journey has been over these last years with this rifle, from factory to totally redone. Trying to get that magical load and me, not being a rifle guy. It's been real frustrating. Those 4 factory shots of Nosler didn't help but, the box was almost empty so I had shot them before with less than decent results or I would have noted it. Then I pick them up and put 3 in almost one hole.

Bob

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.