Flyer Shots Help!!!!

Prieto9000

I´m burning my head here!!!
I´ve tried some different loads on my new 6.5CM and generally speaking it shoots great, but it always trows the 4th or 5th shot very far off the group. The stock is bedded properly and action screws torqued to 55 in-lb

Attachments

• IMG_6130.jpg
    IMG_6130.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_6153.jpg
    IMG_6153.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_6154.jpg
    IMG_6154.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_6155.jpg
    IMG_6155.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_6121.jpg
    IMG_6121.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 79
Are you letting it cool down between shots? If it is heating up too much around the 4th or 5th shot, the barrel may be expanding and coming into contact with the bedding/barrel. Just a thought.

Are you letting it cool down between shots? If it is heating up too much around the 4th or 5th shot, the barrel may be expanding and coming into contact with the bedding/barrel. Just a thought.

It gets a little warm I would say. But I can definitely say it´s not what you´d call hot. It´s a Medium Palma 27" barrel. But I´ll check it out next time, I´ll shoot 5 rounds and then run a dollar bill underneath the barrel to see if it´s still free floated.

I agree with Korhil, watch for it to be making contact or shoot your group slower. The other thing I would suggest is just shooting three shot groups. How many times are you really shooting five times at a game animal, especially if the rifle is that accurate.

Either way, it looks like you still have a gun that'll shoot 1/2 MOA with the five shots for the most part.

I have a similar situation but it is not necessarily the fourth or fifth shot out of a five shot group. I may have 3 touching and one or two flyers. Could one interpret this as shooter error or a load that is not perfected? Total group size is sub moa but the best 3 of 5 is 1/4 to 1/3". Any ideas would be great.

It's called a "humbler", everyone misses a 2' putt on occasion. Maybe run out? Overlay all those groups, pick any 4 shots and there is bound to be a flinger in there. Could be a little cheek weld, parallax, or voodoo....

My first question is do you clean between groups??? If you do clean between groups try this. Do not clean let the gun set till cold and shoot another group. By your targets there is no particular way the flyer goes. The second group without cleaning should be spread even bigger. This would point to trouble inside the barrel itself. Get the bore checked with a bore scope may tell a lot too. It may take a little fire lapping or a full blown poured lap job to get a perfect smooth bore that will not catch jacket material and ruin accuracy. Contact the barrel maker may help to if you contact them. Good Luck

I see a mixture of apples and oranges here. Different bullets at different seating depths with different charges. I'd toss out all the extraneous data, work with the 140gr Berger Hybrids and adjust seating depth by .002 in a series of .006 adjustments either side of the loads you've recorded for that bullet. Provided your chamber will handle the lengths over 2.215, I'd load 2.221, 2.219, 2.217, 2.215, 2.213, 2.211, 2.209 in five round sets and see what they look like on target.
Can't tell from the image how well the action is bedded but if you can withdraw the action without pulling the recoil lug in a perfectly vertical plane relative to the stock it's not, IMO, properly bedded.

Its your barrel getting warm. I've been experimenting with this a lot here lately. Some gunmakers metal resist the warm/hot barrel walk more than others. My tikkas need a solid 7 minutes between shots to keep a 3 or 5 round group tight, and shots 4 and 5 need a great deal more cooling time than the previous shots. Now my brownings otoh, will allow me to shoot amazing 3 and five shot groups with a minute or two between rounds. I have also discovered that once the tikka barrel is warm, after second or third shot, it will laser the next 10 shots thru the same hole, where as once the browning is warm you have abount a 2" possible impact zone.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.