Flyer Problem?

mtelkhntr78

Fellas, I am about to pull my hair out with the latest load work on my .30-06.
the only thing holding me back from a great shooting rifle is the fact it kicks out a flyer every one out of three shots. The funny thing is the flyer(s) is consistent, it alwasy seems to spit out to the left about 1.5". At first I thought I could correct with seating depth adjustment, no joy. Right now I am thinking the glass might be bad but I wanted some input to see if I was missing something.
The Load: Barnes 168gr Match TSX, Annealed Remington brass(3rd firing), 56.1 grs H414(That was the best I found with OCW method), CCI Magnum primer, trimmed to same length, just neck sized, and I have varied the seating depth from .20-.70 off the lands.
The Rifle: Rem Mod 700, 24 inch tube, Leupold VX-L 3.5-10, Pillar bedded, and barrel has had about 170 rounds down it.

In order to try and correct my problem I have tried different dies, primers, powder, etc. Today I even used a little infared temp gauge so the barrell temp was absolutely the same for each shot. What am I missing here? I have poured over all the other threads on this and other forums and tried tons of different things. I am starting to think the glass might be bad? It is an expensive scope but I guess that doesnt mean anything if it sucks? Help me before I am hairless!

Try checking the barrel lug to see if it's making any contact other than on the rear. I've pulled my hair out a few times and thought I had covered everything and usually found out there was a logical answer somewhere. You have no doubt done this, but make double sure your action screws are properly tightened. Good luck.....Rich

You might try setting the brass aside that shoots the flier. collect a dozen or so that shoot well and reload them. see if that eliminated your problem.

Try a different primer like a federal 210m or or some other nonmagnum primer.
Have you shot it over a chronograph? I would bet your ES is horrible.
I would doubt it is your glass.

Fellas, I am about to pull my hair out with the latest load work on my .30-06.
the only thing holding me back from a great shooting rifle is the fact it kicks out a flyer every one out of three shots. The funny thing is the flyer(s) is consistent, it alwasy seems to spit out to the left about 1.5". At first I thought I could correct with seating depth adjustment, no joy. Right now I am thinking the glass might be bad but I wanted some input to see if I was missing something.
The Load: Barnes 168gr Match TSX, Annealed Remington brass(3rd firing), 56.1 grs H414(That was the best I found with OCW method), CCI Magnum primer, trimmed to same length, just neck sized, and I have varied the seating depth from .20-.70 off the lands.
The Rifle: Rem Mod 700, 24 inch tube, Leupold VX-L 3.5-10, Pillar bedded, and barrel has had about 170 rounds down it.

In order to try and correct my problem I have tried different dies, primers, powder, etc. Today I even used a little infared temp gauge so the barrell temp was absolutely the same for each shot. What am I missing here? I have poured over all the other threads on this and other forums and tried tons of different things. I am starting to think the glass might be bad? It is an expensive scope but I guess that doesnt mean anything if it sucks? Help me before I am hairless!
I would not think its your glass.I didn't read that you have checked velocity with a Chronograph..
It's really pretty simple if you break it down.
#1Combustion...#2 Harmonics...&
#3 External Ballistics-Consistent BC

Shoot over a chrono..
If ES is high adjust powde charge ,primer,case capacity, or neck tension.
Maybe even change powder.
If Bad Groups are bad it equals Bad Hamonics..if your ES is Low don't mess with you powder charge or primers.Adjust seating Depth.
External Ballistics for consistent BC check you bullets and brass or barrel.
If it won't shoot a consistent 1/4 MOA at 100 yards it's the probably the barrel.vThat I said you are using good brass and bullets.