Fly fishing BIG!!! Rainbows

HUAINAMACHERO

Back home in Ecuador.
I went fly fishing a couple of weeks ago in a lake called La Mica, it is located in the central Andes of Ecuador, at an altitude of 11800 feet above sea level. There is some very nice trout fishing there.
Fished from a belly boat, with a number 7 fly rod, with full sinking fly line and with green and brown wooly buggers, they worked great.
Caught 2 trout that weighted 7 pounds each, 1 that weighted 4 pounds and released 5 more that were around 2 pounds each.
Hope you enjoy the pictures.
IMG_0568.jpg

IMG_0572.jpg

IMG_0577.jpg

IMG_0605.jpg

Great looking fish. Is that fog I see in the pics or just clouds you were in at that elevation?

Royinidaho: It is cold there, not as cold as winter in the northern hemisphere, but because of the altitude it is cold almost all year long, you even get some snow a few times a year.
Chas1: both, foggy and cloudy, it was a rainy day, but proved good for fishing. At that altitude I prefer to deal with rain, than to deal with a sunny day. For the rainy day it is cold and wet but with good jacket and hat you are done, if it is a very sunny day you get roasted!!! Just because of the sun, and its reflection on the water. It never gets hotter than maybe 50 degrees farenheit, but the sun is so strong that you get sunburned in the face, hands and neck very easily.

I guess that's why sometimes I've seen documentaries of mountain climbers with that white stuff smeared on their face, guess it helps prevent sunburn since the rays don't have to go thru so much atmosphere they burn more easily.

Last edited:
Chas1: yeap, that is just right!!! Sun reflection on snow or water of high mountains, and altitude will get you sunburned easily, that is also why they are always with sunglasses. The less atmosphere the more exposed you are.

Great looking fish. Is that fog I see in the pics or just clouds you were in at that elevation?

What's the difference? :D:D:D

joseph

PS: Looks like a great fishing trip. Really nice trout too.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.