Fluting cutters for bolts

jrock

Official LRH Sponsor
LRH Sponsor
Wondering what people use for bolt fluting cutters and sizes? I like the Remington TI bolt fluting pattern and am wondering what cutter size is used for that? "Standard" fluting on bolts I have appear to be 1/16" radial convex cutters which would be too small for a TI flute I would think.

I haven't seen how Remington flutes their bolts, but I would give it pretty good odds they use a ball end mill. A set of radius gages would tell you what diameter they're using.

Would a radius gage work on a helical cut if it was done with a convex cutter? I seems like a radius gauge would work if done with a ball end mill but if cut with a convex cutter, there would be a distortion in the radius as the bolt rotates. I'm no machinist and don't own a radius gauge set to check it with. Ball end mills are much cheaper than a convex cutter that is for sure.

Would a radius gage work on a helical cut if it was done with a convex cutter? I seems like a radius gauge would work if done with a ball end mill but if cut with a convex cutter, there would be a distortion in the radius as the bolt rotates. I'm no machinist and don't own a radius gauge set to check it with. Ball end mills are much cheaper than a convex cutter that is for sure.
I guess I'm not sure what you mean by convex cutter, unless you are talking a t-slot cutter with full radius. Either way it's going to be a standard radius. They use a ball and cut the helix on the bolt. You need to be moving 2 axis simultaneously to cut the pattern.

Yes, basically a tee slot cutter with a radius. The line of cut of the tool is longitudinal which appears to create a dished out cut (not true circular arc) when the bolt is rotated. That is my interpretation not having 3d milling software to visualize it. Area 419 has a vid using that tee slot type cutter on youtube. LRI also uses a similar tool.

Most bolts and barrels that get fluted are cut with a tool similar to what is used in the video. Ball end mills are just too fragile. Besides, a convex cutter can have more cutting edges, definitely a plus. Sounds like you need a set of radius gages, jrock. Ya' can't do the work without the tools!
DSCF1330.JPG

I was thinking that cutter was the economical option. I ended up creating a spread sheet with depths of cut, helical angles, and cutting diameters etc. to figure out what cutters I would need. Not quite gages...

That video sure brings back memories. I used to run a 4020 Fadal with Renshaw probe and 4 th axis. Back in 1995

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.