Fluted barrels

meathead

I am looking for opinions on fluted barrels. There seems to be some controversy on the subject. There are some very knowledgable shooters on this site, so I asking for some honest opinions. The barrel will be ordered from Lilja Barrels.SS of course, and a modified NBRSA contour. It will finish up .945 at 28". 30 cal., 3 groove. Fluting is a little spendy, but other than looking good, are there any real benefits to the process? I have read that it makes the barrel more ridged, that it cools faster, etc, etc. Or is this just horse pucky?
confused.gif

The Flutes cut down the weight noticably. I have a fluted barrel and really like it.

The exterior surface does get hot a lot faster than non-fluted barrels which leads me to believe that the heat is being expelled faster with the fluted barrel. Accuracy is the same as non-fluted barrels from what I have seen.

fluting adds cooling surface, but it is not stiffer than the original barrel before fluting. However it is stiffer than unfluted barrel of same weight. Remember we just cut 6-10 oz of weight off.

Go to Lilja's website and read what he says about it. He has probably done as much testing as anyone and has formula's and definite opinions on what and what it does not do. It will change the barrel harmonics and you will have to retune loads.

Looks good and helps cut weight if that is a factor. Your call.

I don't know if all the hype or whatever around the fluted barrels is true or not. The reason I like them is they look cool and don't negatively affect accuracy or reliability, so if you like the looks get one.

Jim

I knew I could get valuable information on this site, but the info that demarpaint provided is still giving me a headache trying to figure out all the tech. From what I gather out of all this, there is a slight advantage to a properly fluted barrel, which I am sure Lilja does. And I also think they look special, so fluted it is, and I thank you all for your responses!!
grin.gif
grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.