Flush mount sling carry pics and slings used too.

Been thinking about installing flush cups on my new 6.5 PRC Browning X-Bolt Pro. The Pro models all have carbon fiber stocks and I really hate to mess with them. I could mount them in the same place as the regular sling studs but that would mean the butt flush cup would stick out "not flush" unless I ground down a "dip" in the stock. Unlike my Boyd;s laminated stock where I installed flush cups the X-Bolt Pro CF stock should look unsightly to say the least.
SO... maybe I'll install a flush cup on the forearm only to ride my front bag better.

Timnterra, i see your CF (or fiberglass?) stock broke at the wrist.
My X-Bolt Pro carbon fiber laminate is put on in "sock" form so there are no seams except at the wrist. i.e the butt CF "sock" and the forearm "sock" meet there and overlap, giving more strength. Hopefully I'll never see my stock broken - ever!

I've always felt the strongest synthetic laminate stock would be one using Kevlar or Spectra. Likely some factory already does this.

Eric B.

Last edited:
It fell and the muzzle hit the ground like a hinge was attached to the lower swivel. I was still holding the sling up at my shoulder. When the muzzle hit the ground the stock just split. It's a grayboe stock. I guess injection moulded fiberglass is not the way to go. Greyboe sent me a new stock but I don't really trust them now.
Yup. Really sucks.....talk about ruining a hunt

Ya know after having sold my .300 Win mag Browning A-Bolt my only "backup" hunting rifle is an old .308 Savage 99 C lever action that needs a scope.

I'm going to re-barrel it with a Bartlein barrel and have a gunsmith make it into an octagon barrel. Then I'll put a Wieneg custom laminated stock on it and get a smaller, say 2 - 8 x 44 scope. For that curved receiver I'll need a special curved base Pic rail. Maybe Brownells will have them.

Wieneg will also make a matching custom stock for my RUGER 96/22 mag rifle B/C it is designed along the Savage 99 style. (Yes, Ruger did once make a lever action rifle.) Then I'll have a matching pair.
Hey, We didn't take our auto trip around Spain and Portugal this year so I have some money to "invest" in my guns.

Eric B.

Ya know after having sold my .300 Win mag Browning A-Bolt my only "backup" hunting rifle is an old .308 Savage 99 C lever action that needs a scope.

I'm going to re-barrel it with a Bartlein barrel and have a gunsmith make it into an octagon barrel. Then I'll put a Wieneg custom laminated stock on it and get a smaller, say 2 - 8 x 44 scope. For that curved receiver I'll need a special curved base Pic rail. Maybe Brownells will have them.

Wieneg will also make a matching custom stock for my RUGER 96/22 mag rifle B/C it is designed along the Savage 99 style. (Yes, Ruger did once make a lever action rifle.) Then I'll have a matching pair.
Hey, We didn't take our auto trip around Spain and Portugal this year so I have some money to "invest" in my guns.

Eric B.

Hello,

I'd love to see how the 99 rebarrel goes! I have a 99F with a crooked barrel.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.