FLS belted magnums

Here is what I do,

lets say your loading a 300 wm, take a fired case and punch a 8mm expander ball down it the neck, (lube well) then put your resizer in the press, leave it up 1/4" or so from the shellholder, start resizing your case, trying it in the rifle each time, when the bolt will close on the resized case with just a bit of resistance, screw the die in 1/32 turn and lock it down.
I've used this method on all cartridges and it works well, never had a bulged belted case.
RR

I'm not sure what "bulge" your talking about but it sounds like
a loose chamber.

To find out first look up the SAAMI specs for your cartrige
and then mic the fired case In the area that bulges.

I have seen military rifles that did this but there chambers
are made a little loose for easy extraction .

If this is the problem full length sizing will only shorten brass
life and the chance of a casehead separation after a few
shots is great.

Let us know if this is the problem
J E CUSTOM

JECustom, I haven't personally experianced this bulge problem but I have read several posts from some who say they have. I am gettin gready to start reloading for a 300wm and just wanted to get all the heads up info I could in case I needed to look for these issues or actually experianced the bulge. I also was looking for some imput on adjusting my FLS for the 300wm because I want to control the head space on the shoulders and not by the belt.

For the best brass life neck size only.

Then you will actualy be headspacing on both at the same time.

Cartriges are designed to headspace a certain way and I would not
recommend changing the method of headspace.

If you dont like belted cases have the 300 win mag opened up to a
RUM or one of the other beltless cases.

Dont worry about the belt some of the most accurate rounds are
belted like the 7mm rem mag and the 300 win mag.

Proper headspace should be built in to the rifle but brass life can be
improved by proper sizing.

J E CUSTOM

Custom Dies

Neck sizing is a good technique, it allows the brass to form fit the chamber and does't stress the brass like FL sizing does, but you still need to FL size the brass after a few cycles or it will start to become difficult to chamber.

With custom dies, you can FL size everytime without stressing the brass much and have the added benefit of a concentric form fitted case to your chamber. If you size with custom dies, your brass will out live your barrel.

Spendy? yep, but it can pay for itself in brass and improve your accuracy.

I'm the guy that developed the Belted Magnum Collet Resizing Die. I've received phone calls every single day (for the last 10 years) about resizing belted magnum calibers, and here's what I can tell you about the subject - FOR SURE.

--- Handloads need to be headspaced on the shoulder ALWAYS.

--- The WORST thing you can do is cut the bottom off your FL resizing die, because it will push the case shoulder back even farther, and make resizing problems even worse. Headspace separation is then a gaurantee.

--- Reloading forums clearly show an enormous number of shooters experiencing resizing problems with belted magnum calibers. That's happening because there really IS a very common problem resizing them with standard dies alone.

--- There is almost nothing in reloading manuals that clearly describes the charactoristics of resizing belted cases, so many shooters assume there's nothing new to learn on the subject.

--- Neck sizing is far better than full length sizing (for belted magnums) IF you don't set your headspace correctly. Otherwise there is a better way.

--- The "bulged case" symptom doesn't occur until after at least 2 or 3 reloadings, so most reloaders assume they're "in the clear" until they reload belted cases a bit MORE often.

--- The case shoulder should ALWAYS be pushed back by .001" or .002" (and no more). This ensures that your cases will always chamber and extract properly.

--- You should NEVER be able to "feel" your handloads chamber. Not all actions have the camming pressure like a bolt gun, and a bolt action will put serious wear on the bolt lugs if you have to force the bolt open and closed.

--- Visit my website, and you can see what I've learned about reloading for over 40 years. My goal is to help fellow shooters get the most enjoyment from our sport. I do this because nobody will preserve our gun rights more than motivated gun owners, also because it drives the liberals crazy!

I hope this helps,

- Innovative

Now if you are looking to develop something really cool, how about a collet die that will resize the base of the shell to restore the primer pocket loosening?

I only lose brass for two reasons, neck splits and loose primer pockets. The neck splits went away since I started using the Lee collet on my necks but still will eventually lose high pressre cases to loose primer pockets. That really hasn't been a problem since I quit red lining everyting. My belted cases are all over 20 firing with one batch of 7mag brass over 50 firings in a factory Ruger chamber.

I still think a product to resize the bottom of the brass would go over huge.

After encountering several hundred shooters that reload belted magnum calibers, I've come across VERY FEW that have experienced absolutely no chambering problems after a few reloadings.

The symptom of loose primer pockets is another issue that is easily resolved, and there is already a case crimping tool that swages the case head tighter against the primer pocket. I haven't seen one of those tools in years, probably because this symptom can also be resolved by trying the following:

1.) Don't ream your primer pockets.
2.) Try a slower burning powder.
3.) Lighten up your load just a bit.

- Innovative

You say most people experience chambering problems after a few loadings. I would guess you mean with only neck sizing as I partial full size and have zero problems chambering after 6 firings.

linksmechanic,

Actually, it's probably more apt to happen when full length resizing - especially if you push the shoulder back too far. However, the shoulder does need to get bumped back very slightly. Read my website on this subject. Check the Questions and Answers section and the Tech Tips.

- Innovative

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.