Floating Barrel

Boozer

I'm going to float the barrel on my rifle. Rem 700 .30-06 w/ factory wood stock.

Can anyone recommend what to use to seal it back up after I sand down the areas where it is contacting the barrel? I've done lots of wood working, but never messed with a gun stock. I was just planning on using a good polyurethane, like from min-wax. Does it require anything special, since it's not even visible?

nothing too special i would get some tru oil and just rub a couple coats into the bare wood by hand so you keep it where u dont have any excess buildup to conflict with your float.

I did the same to same gun with plastic at end of stock. Stock was beat to hell So I did a quick ruff jub and used couple coats of clear spray paint.

I did the same to same gun with plastic at end of stock. Stock was beat to hell So I did a quick ruff jub and used couple coats of clear spray paint.

As long as it is coated well enough to keep moisture "completely" out it doesn't matter too much. I've found that epoxy based is usually the most likely to accomplish that.......Rich

Well, I appreciate the info, but I'm looking for something to topcoat a WOOD stock after floating. Would anyone else recommend paint????

Everyone makes such a big deal about moisture and humidity getting into a wood stock, I'm just trying to seal it off from the environment.

Thanks

If it were me, I would use Min Wax sanding sealer to seal the grain. Then get the Helmsman outdoor polyurethane. I have used it to do finish work on out door trim on an all season deck. Works great for keeping water out. If you sand between coats it will finish up real glossy and smooth. Just my .02.

Tank

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.