Floated barrel

Ycreek

I just put a new Bell/Carlson stock on my 700 300WM. I don't have a heavy barrel so it's definitely floated (and then some). My plan is to bed the action but, what about the barrel? Do i need to bed the forearm while leaving the barrel floated? I'm probably over thinking this but does an uneven gap between the barrel and the stock play into harmonics? Would it be better to bed it so that the space is uniform? It sure would look better. Thanks for any advice.

What B&C stock did you buy? That is surprising to hear that your barrel is floated like that. Most B&C's come with the nub on the fore end that the barrel rests on, which needs to be removed to free float the barrel.

With that being said, there is no reason to bed anything forward of the recoil lug. Some folks will bed a few inches past the recoil lug, but that is all preference. I definitely wouldn't bed around the barrel though.

Hmmm... I bought the Medalist style 2. Stocky's has the SKU listed as 2092. Now that you say that, there was a little "nub" that was in the barrel channel. I thought it was pushed up over where one of the sling studs was. It, essentially, fell off. I guess it was supposed to serve a purpose. Anyway, it's gone. Thanks a lot for the reply. I appreciate it.

Here is a picture of where that pressure point is. You can see where the paint on the stock was sanded to remove the pressure point. Is that not there on your stock? It shouldn't have just fallen off, it is actually part of the stock mold. You would have to sand it out to remove it.

59626-400x400.jpg

Are you talking about that whole discolored area or that little spot that looks where some kind of node protruded out? The node (it looks like the same location as yours) is what fell off. None of that "area" is touching the barrel. It's got about an 1/8in of clearance under and on both sides.

Sorry, I completely missed that this is a Medalist 2 stock. That means it didn't come with the pressure point 'nub.' Your probelm is that the Medalist 2 is designed for heavier varmint or sendero sized barrels and not sporter barrels. If you don't have any plans of changing barrels anytime soon, you are either going to have to deal with the big gap or return it and get one that is a better fit for the sporter barrel.

Yea, I'm planning on getting a heavier barrel. Any insight there? If you can't already tell, I'm a newbie when it comes to accuracy. Thanks.

Lots of options from barrel makers, most of the major brands will work great. You can use the search function here to find out more or use the google search option in the upper right hand corner. When you do rebarrel you have the option of changing calibers as well, so a ton of options are out there. Outside of that, the two things I would recommend is having a gunsmith 'true' your action when you do put a new barrel on and I would also look at replacing your trigger if you haven't done so yet.

One last thing: if you are planning on rebarreling, DEFINITELY don't bed the current barrel or your stock won't be any good to you. Just bed the recoil lug for now and you will be fine to go shooting until you rebarrel.

Good luck!

Great advice! Thanks a lot. I'm gonna stick with my current caliber and I'll definitely bed the lug only for now. I've looked at the "main" barrel companies' websites and it seems like all of the barrels are stainless. That's fine but I'd sure like to find one with a ceracote (or something else black) finish.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.