Float or not float

duckaholic

I purchased a model 700adl varmint in 243 with the 26in bull barrel. It's cut out to be floated but touches on bottom at end of forearm. I know the stocks junk I eventually want to get a different stock and add a floor plate or detach mag but for now it's a work up a load bust yotes and it is what it is. But wondering if it will harm anything to sand it on out? Or if anyone has a stock laying around at a bargain??

Years ago, Remington began Model 700 stock production with a small raised portion at the end of the stock. The theory was that slight tension at that point would stabilize the barrel harmonics, leading to improved accuracy. Many people disagree, and find that floating the barrel improves accuracy. I have used a barrel rasp to remove that area, so that a dollar bill can be slid between the channel and the barrel, all the way to receiver.

If you remove the protrusion and accuracy is not better, you can put a plastic shim in it, or small amount of fiberglass to recreate the same height as before.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.