Fliers

Are you capable of 3 in one hole?
Plenty capable. The pic on my profile is 4 shots an the 1 that is low is because it was the first shot of the group an I dialed up to get it were I wanted it. Pic is 1000 yrds with factory 300rum with timney trigger

Attachments

• 5FD30B20-9077-49B0-BB8E-00466C9552D3.jpeg
    5FD30B20-9077-49B0-BB8E-00466C9552D3.jpeg
    195.2 KB · Views: 207
Ok guys I know there's been discussions on fliers before. My question is developing a load an you get 2 basically touch an the third is 3/4 or so off on a 3 shot group. Sometimes maybe 1st 2nd or 3rd would be off. What's causing this. I've had this happen on multiple calibers. Can y'all tell me what's the deal

My experience has been that there are bedding issues. Recoil lug is bedded "loose", metal to metal contact from the barreled action and pillars, the barreled action is bedded at an angle (more pressure on one side of tang when screws are tightened), the front screw of the front base is contacting the barrel threads (pull front base and peer down the hole if you see shiny spots on threads or worse flattened barrel threads, shorten the screw).

Eliminate the "sproing" and you've found the problem. Everything listed above has happened on one of my rifles. All I shoot are "lightweight" sporters. All under 8lbs with scope attached.

Nothing of what I've posted is speculation. I learned the hard way. That's why I'm bald (from all the hair pulling).

Forgot to add that I once worked on a Speedy Gonzalez rifle in 300 Jarrett. Two close, one flier in any combination you can imagine. The problem persisted for a looong time (buddy's rifle). I convinced him to let me look at it after a particularly bad range session. Problem was the receiver had been trued, barrel threads @ shank was necessarily greater in diameter. The front screw was therefore too "long". A $0.10 part compromised a $3000 rifle. My buddy was thrilled when his rifle shot bugholes. He sold it not long after that. 😡

Edited to add that I shortened the front screw by .010 <>.

Last edited:
Ya, seeing your groups, it looks like something mechanical. Odd to see in 2 different rifles though. Is the tight groups with factory ammunition?

I've seen the same thing with Rl26. In various cartridges of similar capacity. Got one dialed after a bit, and moved away to RL23 and the other H1000. I look for accuracy, terminal performance then speed.

I didn't see a mention of the primer you're using. I only use the CCI BR2 in my .300WinMag with RL26. I've tried most of the others during initial load development and accuracy/velocity/ES & SD are best with BR2's. I know that doesn't sound reasonable to most people, even me, but they work great.
Short story long;
This tidbit of info came to me from an 18yr old on this site a few years back. I can't remember the guys name but he had built his own rifle, a .300WinMag, and had worked up a LR load with RL26 & specifically stated that he'd found BR2's were best. The bullets were 200gn + IIRC, but never mind that.
Well, me being the experienced reloader (read as "know it all") was not gonna let some 18yr old decide for me what components to use. I'd do my own "scientific to me" load development and secretly create a better load than he. Never happened. I shot every stinking brand of magnum primer I had and a few of the Large Rifle varieties, and still the BR2's came out ahead. I don't know what it is but they work great with RL26.
I hate to tell everyone that, as they are my favorite primer and this'll just add to the shortage! LoL. Right now I'm using RL26, BR2's with the 225gn ELD-M @ 2965fps and accuracy is phenomenal (to me).
Here's a pic from last Sunday @ 1100yds. It's only a two shot group (I know, I know, not enough data) but it was sooo HOT. My shooting buddy and I planned to verify come ups to 1000yds but had to try 1100 before we called it quits. I was well pleased, as I was aiming for the black area in the pic, dialing elevation and holding for wind. Pac-Nor, 28", 9t.

Attachments

• 1100yds.jpg
    1100yds.jpg
    366.3 KB · Views: 137
I've seen the same thing with Rl26. In various cartridges of similar capacity. Got one dialed after a bit, and moved away to RL23 and the other H1000. I look for accuracy, terminal performance then speed.
Thanks. Tried h1000 this gun doesn't like it. My 300 rum and 7 mag does tho.

Ok guys I know there's been discussions on fliers before. My question is developing a load an you get 2 basically touch an the third is 3/4 or so off on a 3 shot group. Sometimes maybe 1st 2nd or 3rd would be off. What's causing this. I've had this happen on multiple calibers. Can y'all tell me what's the deal
Took me a long time to accept the fact that it is usually either not the right powder charge for the gun or the shooter is having an off day. If elevation is consistent it can may be corrected with seating depth. This is just my experience and certainly doesn't cover all the possible causes........

Any of the above could be the issue.. Also. It may not like that bullet. I've had a couple barrels not like ELDM bullets. 2 ragged then 1 in outer space in no particular order . Switch bullets and everything comes together .. I like 5 shot groups but the problem with them for ME is that I get excited when I see 3-4 ragged and I'll mess it up. What I typically do is 3 shot groups. When I see what I like , I'll shoot 3-5 more 3 shot groups. If the trend continues I'll stick with that load .. that's just me. One particular rifle I have , I've shot 14, 3 shot groups with it on paper since I built it and found my load, and the average of all groups is .38". Doing 3 shot groups is less data for sure, unless you do several of them. This is just what works for me. It also shows to me that POI stays the same across multiple groups and aim points , not just group size alone. A lot of times I'll do the groups on different days also. 3 shots during development, looks promising. Go home load a few more and go back out, if looks good again I'll make more and go out again the next day and check again under different weather/temp/etc..

Recent Posts