Fletching damage

OkieBowie , I noticed on another thread that you don't have an Elite. The aforementioned might not be true on the Tac 15.
That is correct, I do have a TAC 15 and I realize you have a TAC Elite.
In regards to what you say happens on TAC Elite with string and shuttle, that does not happen with TAC 15. Well for the most part.

The knots that attach the D-Loop to string do slightly raise the string up as D-Loop is pulled up onto shuttle release block. The TAC 15 shuttle block is shaved down from about middle to front to keep string at (or nearly at) same level the string is at un-cocked and at rest.

On TAC 15 when shuttle is drawn back the shuttle does go up a slight incline as it nears back prior to latching, then shuttle drops back down into latch point. The shuttle appears again to be level and inline with string position at rest.

From your description of TAC Elite something with regard to shuttle or mounting position of limbs have changed. I really can't understand why the string would need to be raised to put any downward pressure on the anti-dry fire latch system of block.

The TAC 15 does not need such downward pressure. In fact, it is the knocks of the arrows on the string that push the anti-dry fire latch down to where string is not caught upon release.

Wish I had a TAC Elite to compare against my TAC 15.

Its a bad design if you can only shoot an arrow a couple of times before the fletching is being ripped off.
Welcome to the Club.
Us early adopters of TAC 15 went through a different issue with feathers being stripped off. The original fletching of PSE TAC arrows were poorly glued on and would start coming loose after just a few shots. Between the higher arrow velocities, the Whisker biscuit bristles, we got to practice our gluing techniques. The arrows also suffered from loose quality control, meaning unacceptable variances in weight, spin stiffness, direction of flex, and knocks that usually overly gripped the strings.

Unfortunately, it looks like TAC Elite adopters are faced with a more serious problem.

That is correct, I do have a TAC 15 and I realize you have a TAC Elite.
In regards to what you say happens on TAC Elite with string and shuttle, that does not happen with TAC 15. Well for the most part.

The knots that attach the D-Loop to string do slightly raise the string up as D-Loop is pulled up onto shuttle release block. The TAC 15 shuttle block is shaved down from about middle to front to keep string at (or nearly at) same level the string is at un-cocked and at rest.

On TAC 15 when shuttle is drawn back the shuttle does go up a slight incline as it nears back prior to latching, then shuttle drops back down into latch point. The shuttle appears again to be level and inline with string position at rest.

From your description of TAC Elite something with regard to shuttle or mounting position of limbs have changed. I really can't understand why the string would need to be raised to put any downward pressure on the anti-dry fire latch system of block.

The TAC 15 does not need such downward pressure. In fact, it is the knocks of the arrows on the string that push the anti-dry fire latch down to where string is not caught upon release.

Wish I had a TAC Elite to compare against my TAC 15.

Yes as for the nock holding down the anti-dryfire mechanism it's the same, but the string actually has to be picked up for the nock to even fit over the block and mechanism, once the arrow is nocked and loop is attached the string is obviously not straight from cam to cam, it's definitely raised up in the middle over the "barrel". I have no idea when they changed the limbs and a few other things that they didn't make sure that the string plane remained the same height from the "barrel".. I agree with making necessary improvements but geez, don't mess up something else that is "right" to do it...

Welcome to the Club.
Us early adopters of TAC 15 went through a different issue with feathers being stripped off. The original fletching of PSE TAC arrows were poorly glued on and would start coming loose after just a few shots. Between the higher arrow velocities, the Whisker biscuit bristles, we got to practice our gluing techniques. The arrows also suffered from loose quality control, meaning unacceptable variances in weight, spin stiffness, direction of flex, and knocks that usually overly gripped the strings.

Unfortunately, it looks like TAC Elite adopters are faced with a more serious problem.

I've used a whisker biscuit on my compounds for years and never had a problem other than wrinkled vanes. I had plans to replace the biscuit on my Tac with the drop away, but it doesn't make sense if the fletching is making contact with the cables. In this case the biscuit is probably a better choice.

I've used a whisker biscuit on my compounds for years and never had a problem other than wrinkled vanes. I had plans to replace the biscuit on my Tac with the drop away, but it doesn't make sense if the fletching is making contact with the cables. In this case the biscuit is probably a better choice.

Yes I know what you mean.... On the other hand though I have noticed that traditional thinking, when it comes to tuning these rigs ,does not always hold true. It could be quite possible that if you were to use a drop away and the arrow is no longer "contained" in the whisker biscuit during its initial launching that the initial reaction of the arrow( oscillation etc) could be totally different which could end up giving you just a hair more fletching clearance over the cables... Stranger things have happened.... Unfortunately You never know for sure until you try.

I'll probably get the drop away anyway, it can't hurt. I was also thinking about changing the configuration of the fletching just a little to gain some clearance.

I read all of these posts and have to ask, am I the only one not having problems with my Tac15? :rolleyes: (Rubbing lucky rabbit's foot).

LOL!! I think so... Rub it in why don't ya...
Other than the inherent design flaws, I have only had a one really minor problem and one other more serious problem, not detrimental,but just enough to render the bow useless.
First, when I took the bow out of the box, the spring loaded lever for the crank would not operate. It was jammed a little either from a "bur" or just tight tolerances. The fix was simply a drop of oil and working it manually back and forth until it freed up.
Second, the string loop stretched out to the point that it would not fire anymore. I was able to attain a few string loops from PSE. The ones that they use on the Tacs. I was told that the only way PSE would sell the loops is if you bought the whole harness with the loop already installed. I guess I have a good connection.:)

I read all of these posts and have to ask, am I the only one not having problems with my Tac15? :rolleyes: (Rubbing lucky rabbit's foot).

Twanger, I purposely waited for the Elite to come out. At this point, with all the problems I should have bought the Tac15 instead. Out of three crossbows that I have, the Elite is the most high maintenance and problematic one of the bunch. Upgraded Tac15, I think not!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.