Flattened primers?

I attached some pics of cross sectioned brass, I'm not seeing any thinning. Do you? The shinny mark on the realized brass appears to be where the die ends.

Attachments

• IMG_20131101_140224_952.jpg
    IMG_20131101_140224_952.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_20131101_140222_788.jpg
    IMG_20131101_140222_788.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 55
You need to cut further up into the webbing to be sure.

Do you have confidence in the head-space measurements you provided?

It seems to look fine. Hard to tell when not in person. I am getting a feeling you would prefer to use the rifle as is and fireform the cases without flattened primers.

Could you seat a bullet to make contact with rifling? If so it might be the easiest way to fireform your cases. You might even be able to find an accurate. I just wouldn't go for a max load. Only issue is it might not fit the magazine or if bullet is set too deeply into the rifling an unfired round could leave the bullet in the barrel when it was extracted.

I have a friend that made a 22-250 Ackley Improved. He made a fireforming load that is very accurate with the bullet touching the rifling. He gets to use the rifle on varmint hunts plus is making his brass firemformed at the same time.

The false shoulder approach could be accomplished with the bullet seated deeper so it could fit the magzine box making the rifle a repeater. You could use that fireforming load for hunting if the fit when closing the bolt isn't too tight should a second shot be required.

It looks possible that those cases set back "in toto", that is to say, the whole case moved back to squash the primers, while encountering no "chamber wall cling".

What amount of headspace does a FL sized case exhibit? This would determine if your chamber is outsized, or the new cases undersized.

Likely a different brand of factory ammo would produce different headspace data.

Too little info to make claims of needing to do a barrel setback or other gun work to reduce headspace.

If you are going to cross-section the case and inspect it, do the entire length of the case and do it with multiple manufacturers loads.

Thanks all for your replies. I'm gonna shoot it the rest of hunting season then take out to a local gun builder to see what they think and if I should set the barrel back.

Thanks all for your replies. I'm gonna shoot it the rest of hunting season then take out to a local gun builder to see what they think and if I should set the barrel back.

That's a good plan. Save any brass from rounds you shoot so you will have "data".

I hope you get a trophy.

It looks possible that those cases set back "in toto", that is to say, the whole case moved back to squash the primers, while encountering no "chamber wall cling".

What amount of headspace does a FL sized case exhibit? This would determine if your chamber is outsized, or the new cases undersized.

I had asked you a question.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.