Flattened Primers? Help?

"Ya'll may be too smart for your own good. I have yet to hear any thoughts on a resolution to my questions. "

Forgive us! I thought your original questions had been very well addressed, with lots of thoughts, on the first page and expanded in the following posts. What we've been doing is simply an exchange of ideas why you probably have no pressure problem, thinking perhaps it was all worth your attention. You have been provided a LOT of good infomation that would be hard to find in any book.

If you want specific 'turn this until it gets here and lock that', etc, for dies the basic reloading set ups can be found in the die instructions, most reloading manuals, manufactor's web sites and on YouTube much better than we non-professional writers can tell you in 50 words or less. But, doing it and doing it best is two different things; doing it best is a results oriented thing and that's not by rote, it's a learned thing.

The whole point of die lock rings is to maintain proper set up once it's achieved. But, even if a lock ring slips it really not hard to reset. ??

Last edited:
Me: A chorongraph is no pressure gage but we can be quite sure that if a given bullet weight over a specific quanity of a given powder is going much faster for us than it did for our book makers we are producing a higher pressure than the bookies got. IF that's worth being concerned about.!!

MT: so, if i'm reading waaaaaay over listed fps, my crono isnt ANOTHER TOOL to help diagnose "pressure" ?

Maybe you should read that again. :D

A chorongraph is no pressure gage but we can be quite sure that if a given bullet weight over a specific quanity of a given powder is going much faster for us than it did for our book makers we are producing a higher pressure than the bookies got. IF that's worth being concerned about.
Sounds about right.

The one exception would be barrel length. Lots of barrels will add about 80 to 100 fps if they're 4 inches longer but have the same peak pressure. Example, going from 22 to 26 inches in a .308 Win. With a 30 caliber magnum, the same length increase might get near 150 fps more velocity. Keep this in mind if your pressure reference barrels' length is different than yours. I've seen about 190 fps difference between 22 and 32 inch barrels with near identical bore and groove diameters with the same .308 Win. load.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.