flattened primer?

bigsal5353

knew to reloading.. ive heard that signs for too hot of a load are is the brass stickin in the chamber and the bolt actually gettin blown open? but what should i look for when someone says that the primer gets flattened??? and where should i look for stresses on the brass??? thanks to anyone that can help... i dont want to blow my gun or my face apart by havin to hot of a load but i wanna get as hot as i can

I usually work up in .5 grain increments until I get to where a small shiny mark starts to appear on the bottom of the brass, where the writing is. At that point I back off a grain and that is my max load. That is the extractor mark. On my rifle it is shaped like a half moon. I never pay any attention to the flatness of the primers, it will vary.
There are more complicated ways to measure pressure but this simple method has always worked for me.
Hopefully some folks here will explain some of their other ways and you can choose the method you prefer.

If you go to where your bolt is sticking you are getting into dangerous pressures.

When you are reloading the same brass look for loose primer pockets. If they are too loose you may want to back off another grain to extend the life of your brass.

Safest way is to invest in a Chronograph. Pressure and vel are directly related. Compare your vel to those listed in recent load manuals. All are rated at SAAMI max so there are no whimp loads.

If you vel is sig higher then print, you are treading on high pressure despite what your case condition may be.

It is quite common for stand cases to be loaded to magnum pressures. However, that is in excess of SAAMI specs but could be "safe" in the right rifle.

Any time you experience pressure signs like sticky bolt, extractor marks, loose primers, you are way over magnum pressures and backing off is prudent.

Now for the best part. Almost all rifles shoot their best at less then max pressures. So, if you want a great shooting setup, avoid going overboard with your loads.

If you want a particular vel level for a certain bullet weight, get a bigger cartridge. The rifle will shoot better and you will keep all you important bits attached to you.

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.