flat base vs bt

tango6

I have a very accurate load worked up for my 308 using Hornady 150 gr BTSP. I ordered 500 more and when I got them and started to load them up I saw where they had shipped me flat base 150's.
If I load these with the same data as the BT's, what changes can I expect in trajectory?

Not that much frankly as long as they are the sp and not the round nose unless you are going over 500 yards with it. I prefer fb bullets as they are usually a bit more accurate; the newer bt designs are **** good though too. I killed a mule deer at over 500 yards with the 165 hornady sp fb out of my 300 win this year-- trotting critter and a 20 mph wind to boot.

They are both the SP and 300 yds would probably be a long shot for where I hunt. I am loading these up mainly for my "zombie killers". :D
Thanks for the reply.

That is kind of what I thought but I normally reload BT bullets for my hunting rifles and I did not want to reload 500 of these FB and then find they didn't shoot worth a hoot. And I didn't want to return them.

That is kind of what I thought but I normally reload BT bullets for my hunting rifles and I did not want to reload 500 of these FB and then find they didn't shoot worth a hoot. And I didn't want to return them.

Sometimes sp and bt bullets (even from the same maker) will shoot slightly different accuracy wise with a given powder charge. You may need to adjust your load a bit, but they will be fine. Just make sure to shoot a few before you load 'em all up.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts