Flat base bullets.

deergrunt

I have a 223 Remington. Its chambered in a Remington 700 VLS. Most of the shots I take are well within 300 yards. Sometimes I find myself ranging out to about 400 yards. I really can't see woodchucks or crows much further than that. Is there a real advantage to boatail bullets over flat base bullets if my range is only out to about 300-400yds?

deergrunt,

My opinion is yes. However, if you have a laser rangefinder and can beat the wind, than go with whatever is the most absolute accurate. If you need as flatter a trajectory as possible and less wind drift than go with the boat tail. Even at 3 or 400 yards it can make a world of differance if those qualities are what you need.

When I had my 243 I used 100 grain flat base bullets between 100-500 yards. I then switched to the BT and even at 400 yards it was about 2-3" of bullet drop differance between the 2 bullets. But for a guy who at the time did not have a range finder, that was pretty good!

[ 12-27-2003: Message edited by: meichele ]

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.