FL sizing shoulder bump question

SammySTW

I know there have been a lot of threads on this and I searched through some of them and didn't find what I'm looking for.

I have a new 22 Creedmoor and a set of Whidden dies, FL and seater. I set the FL die in my press as usual, following the directions giving it about 1/8-1/4 turn after contacting the shell holder for a little bit of pressure. I measured to the shoulder of a virgin case and a once fired case and I think they were about .007 apart. I pressed the once-fired case in the FL die and it bumped the shoulder way too much, like almost .030". I backed the die out until I got about .002" bump, but now there is no contact between the die and the shell holder. I've never run into this before, but does it really matter that much if the shell holder doesn't contact the die? Should I try a different shell holder?

I know there have been a lot of threads on this and I searched through some of them and didn't find what I'm looking for.

I have a new 22 Creedmoor and a set of Whidden dies, FL and seater. I set the FL die in my press as usual, following the directions giving it about 1/8-1/4 turn after contacting the shell holder for a little bit of pressure. I measured to the shoulder of a virgin case and a once fired case and I think they were about .007 apart. I pressed the once-fired case in the FL die and it bumped the shoulder way too much, like almost .030". I backed the die out until I got about .002" bump, but now there is no contact between the die and the shell holder. I've never run into this before, but does it really matter that much if the shell holder doesn't contact the die? Should I try a different shell holder?
It does not matter, You have it set correctly now

https://www.whiddengunworks.com/standard-reloading-dies/
WARNING
Failure to adhere with below warning could result in damaged and unsafe brass!
The Whidden Gunworks Sizer Die is engineered with a shorter overall length (OAL) compared to other manufactures of sizer dies. This means you can set the shoulder back further if desired based on your specific application. This die is not intended to be used while bottomed out or screwed flush with the shell plate. Doing so will result in the shoulder being set back too far, possibly rendering the casing unusable. During initial setup screw the die flush with the shell plate then back off 1-1 1⁄2 turns, NOTE: Each full turn of the Sizer is approx. .071" so it does not have to be turned very far to make a noticeable adjustment. Instructions are included with each die set and can also be found at www.whiddengunworks.com-reloading-dies-instructions.

I don't set up my FL die until I have some used cases. I shoot maybe 10 rounds with a safe load and then use those cases to set my fl die to bump back .002

WARNING
The Whidden Gunworks Sizer Die is engineered with a shorter overall length (OAL) compared to other manufactures of sizer dies. This means you can set the shoulder back further if desired based on your specific application. This die is not intended to be used while bottomed out or screwed flush with the shell plate. Doing so will result in the shoulder being set back too far, possibly rendering the casing unusable. During initial setup screw the die flush with the shell plate then back off 1-1 1⁄2 turns, NOTE: Each full turn of the Sizer is approx. .071" so it does not have to be turned very far to make a noticeable adjustment. Instructions are included with each die set and can also be found at www.whiddengunworks.com-reloading-dies-instructions.
That's good to know. I wish the instructions in the box would have mentioned that. Or maybe it did and I didn't read carefully. I'll check when I get home. Luckily I only ruined one case

Having firm contact with the shell holder ensures that each case will be sized exactly the same amount. Apparently Whidden doesn't think this is necessary and they're not the only ones. A reloading press is made of steel and iron which are elastic materials. It will flex. So if one case requires more force its going to deflect the press more. My opinion is that with small cases like 308 its not much of an issue. Sizing 300 Win, 338 Lapua, or the fatter WSM cases tends to place a lot more load on the press. If your case lube isn't consistent, or if you're resizing brass from a pressure test and they've expanded differently, you will have variations in your sizing. It can easily be .003" or more in these situations. So if you're trying for a .002" shoulder bump it could be a problem. Redding makes the competition shell holders for this very reason. Shimming the shell holder can also be effective. Since you're sizing a fairly small case and you have the tools to measure I'd just compare a bunch of sized brass. If they're consistent then you're good to go.

WARNING
Just looked back at the instructions and it says to back it off 1/4 turn. I guess I'm not good at reading

Just looked back at the instructions and it says to back it off 1/4 turn. I guess I'm not good at reading

They have conflicting instructions, one tells you to back off the sizing die 1/4 turn, and the one I posted tells you to back off the die 1 to1 1/2 turns.

The only reason I know this is because someone in another reloading forum had the same exact problem. It makes me think they are making two different length dies or they need to upgrade their instructions.

They have conflicting instructions, one tells you to back off the sizing die 1/4 turn, and the one I posted tells you to back off the die 1 to1 1/2 turns.

The only reason I know this is because someone in another reloading forum had the same exact problem. It makes me think they are making two different length dies or they need to upgrade their instructions.
I had to back it off about 1/2 turn I guess, maybe a little less than that.

Now that we have that sorted out I would like to here about your .22 Creedmoor. I have a barrel ordered and am anxiously waiting counting the weeks until it gets here, three more to go....

Now that we have that sorted out I would like to here about your .22 Creedmoor. I have a barrel ordered and am anxiously waiting counting the weeks until it gets here, three more to go....
I wish I could tell you but I haven't really had a chance to shoot it yet. I took my old Model Seven 7-08 to my gunsmith and had him make it with a 22" Bartlein 3B, spiral fluted with a HS Precision stock. I bought a box of ammo from Horizon Firearms, 75 gr ELD-M, and gave it to the smith to base the chamber on. After he put it together he shot a few rounds and said it shot about 1/2". I got it home and shot it through the chrono into the dirt and 3 shots were 3490, 3546, and 3536 fps. I'm going to load up some to test and hopefully get to take it to the range in the next week or 2

20200118_165430.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.