FL die or Neck die set

sewwhat89

My 300 Win Mag FL sizer die is scoring brass now. I need to get a new sizing die, but I am having cases separate at the base of the neck with a FL size die. Would I be better served to use a neck die? Thanks. I'm not sure on neck sizing belted mag cases.

unless you have a bench gun i wouldn't use a neck die.even then quite a few guys shooting bench rest will tell you they can get better accuracy using a full length die.just get a bushing style FL die and don't use an expander to minimize reshaping and distortion.

I agree with Dave. A FL die is very versatile. You can always back it off for a partial resize, but using FL you need to watch you don't move your shoulder back. The new collett type or bushing type are very consistent. Especially in a hunting situation, you are less likely to get a round that chambers hard with a properly set up FL sizer.

you need to back the FL die out till it only moves the shoulder back 0.001-0.002 -- this will get better case life -- i killed lapua 308 brass (case head sep's) after only 6 firing while moving the shoulder 0.005 each time

stick with 0.001 or 0.002 shoulder bump, and your brass will last longer.

JB

What is the correct way to measure that? I guess I have been doing it all wrong, and now it has cost me two boxes of brass and a die now.

Sewwhat89, Back off your die and then run your fired cases into your chamber. Bolt will close hard. Keep screwing down your die in small quarter turns, you'll feel the die moving the case. Keep chambering, until the bolt closes with just a slight pressure. If you keep going your bolt will close easy because you have no pressure left on the brass case. Redding makes a set of shell holders that are .001 steps. Using these shell holders lets you run down your die to contact the shell holder each time, but the thickness of the shellholder keeps from moving the shoulder too far back. If you only load one caliber on one press, you can just lock down the die and you should be OK. Good luck. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Sewwhat89, Back off your die and then run your fired cases into your chamber. Bolt will close hard. Keep screwing down your die in small quarter turns, you'll feel the die moving the case. Keep chambering, until the bolt closes with just a slight pressure. If you keep going your bolt will close easy because you have no pressure left on the brass case. Redding makes a set of shell holders that are .001 steps. Using these shell holders lets you run down your die to contact the shell holder each time, but the thickness of the shellholder keeps from moving the shoulder too far back. If you only load one caliber on one press, you can just lock down the die and you should be OK. Good luck. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

The stoney point headspace gauge kit from sinclairs makes it cake to check headspace (shoulder bump)

then get yourself a set of redding comp shellholders -- they are 0.002" increments, not 0.001"

you set the die to cam of the +0.010 shellholder then swap shellholders till you get the desired bump.

JB

Ok. Thanks guys. The brass was Frontier and only lasted 3 firings. The load was dang near max, but brass should last three times that long. I'll set up my new die to get the proper bump and see what happens. New brass should be in this week. Thanks again.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.