Fl boar with .357

jacack

Took this hog on some public land here in fl with my smith .357.

Gun shoots awesome with the Hornady lever revolution ammo but after shooting this hog I think I will try something else.

Shot him about 15 yards quartering to me slightly, hit him right behind the ear and found the bullet in between the ribs and off shoulder.

Was very disappointed with that bullet.

Attachments

• 20201216_072407.jpg
    20201216_072407.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 195
  • 20201216_183507.jpg
    20201216_183507.jpg
    588.8 KB · Views: 164
  • 20201216_183502.jpg
    20201216_183502.jpg
    642.7 KB · Views: 188
I would use hard cast probably 170 grain for pigs out of a 357. Congrats on a nice pig. I don't care much for any expanding bullet in pigs less than 44 mag.

I would use hard cast probably 170 grain for pigs out of a 357. Congrats on a nice pig. I don't care much for any expanding bullet in pigs less than 44 mag.
Thats what I was thinking, I would rather use something other than the 357 but you can't use a centerfire rifle where I was, I used a muzzleloader previously but hate only having one shot

Man, when I was in my teens, I attempted to kill some whitetail with a .357 lever rifle. I wounded 3 of them inside of 50y and never recovered one. I could shoot the lids of off bottles at 100y with the rifle, and regularly killed 20+ deer in a season with my .270, but I could not bring them down with the .357. I abandoned the idea, and now 25 years later as I write this, I understand the lack of velocity and energy in that cartridge. I think any of those traditional handgun cartridges beyond about 15y lose so much of their already anemic energy that it is just not a reasonable hunting option. If we use the 1,000 ftlb mark as a baseline for efficient killing of deer sized game, they never hit it. They don't leave the muzzle with enough energy to kill a pig responsibly at point blank range. Those flat nosed bullets are as aerodynamic as a box of rocks, and at 50y you've lost more than half of your velocity. I'm not attempting to push my morality on anyone, but I personally think it is a terrible option for responsible hunting of game animals.

Man, when I was in my teens, I attempted to kill some whitetail with a .357 lever rifle. I wounded 3 of them inside of 50y and never recovered one. I could shoot the lids of off bottles at 100y with the rifle, and regularly killed 20+ deer in a season with my .270, but I could not bring them down with the .357. I abandoned the idea, and now 25 years later as I write this, I understand the lack of velocity and energy in that cartridge. I think any of those traditional handgun cartridges beyond about 15y lose so much of their already anemic energy that it is just not a reasonable hunting option. If we use the 1,000 ftlb mark as a baseline for efficient killing of deer sized game, they never hit it. They don't leave the muzzle with enough energy to kill a pig responsibly at point blank range. Those flat nosed bullets are as aerodynamic as a box of rocks, and at 50y you've lost more than half of your velocity. I'm not attempting to push my morality on anyone, but I personally think it is a terrible option for responsible hunting of game animals.
I find that odd because i've had a different experience as has my uncle and cousin living in Indiana. My cousin uses a single shot CVA in 357 Mag and he kills deer every year. My uncle uses a Marlin lever gun chambered in 357 as well. He also dumps deer every year. I have used a 6" model 66 with a 158gr jacketed soft point. I hit the small whitetail buck in the shoulder/spine juncture at 50yds.
They used to use the 375 Mag to kill Grizzly when it first came out. That was back before it was considered to small.

Took this hog on some public land here in fl with my smith .357.

Gun shoots awesome with the Hornady lever revolution ammo but after shooting this hog I think I will try something else.

Shot him about 15 yards quartering to me slightly, hit him right behind the ear and found the bullet in between the ribs and off shoulder.

Was very disappointed with that bullet.
I had the exact performance from my3", 4", and 6" barreled revolvers. I tested them out on wet pack and they failed to expand and looked just like yours. After that I decided to just stick with Cast bullets from my handguns for anything other than self defense. I had the exact opposite from leverevolution ammo fired from 30/30 or 45/70. They tend to come apart.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.