Fixing rail for scope question

forest

Hi guys I am fitting the rail to the rifle and have a few questions. Should the rail have full contact on the rifle. I have placed it on top and the too outside points seem to just be touching. The rounding on the rail just seems to not be exactly the same as the rifle. Is this common and will it be ok when I tighten the screws? It's a remmy 700 model I have. Should I bed the rail or not?

Hi guys I am fitting the rail to the rifle and have a few questions. Should the rail have full contact on the rifle. I have placed it on top and the too outside points seem to just be touching. The rounding on the rail just seems to not be exactly the same as the rifle. Is this common and will it be ok when I tighten the screws? It's a remmy 700 model I have. Should I bed the rail or not?

I get mine pinned and glued with 5 minute epoxy, the epoxy aids in bedding it to the action.
If you don't have it pinned, bedding it with acraglass gel or similar would be a good idea.

Cheers.
gun)

Thanks for that help guys the video was also great. I bought this rail second hand with a scope so I have no fitting instructions. So have no idea what the torque should be for that rail. The rail is also 30 moa do I need this? It's a pm s&b 11 scope I have. Will that rail allow me to zero at 150 or 200 yards? What will it allow me to adjust too? The shooting range goes as far as 1000yards. The guy who owened this had it mounted on a .243 for long range. Mine is calibred in .308 Should I change it for a 20 moa rail? Also what are the best quality rail makes to use? I am new to most of this so excuse me if the questions seem stupid. Many thanks for any help.

first thing I'd do is swap it for one that actually FIT a Rem 700...? With the rail CLEAN and the receiver CLEAN ( use alchol ) torque the screws to 30 in/lbs

Ok thanks the reciver is clean as it's new. The rail is also clean now. It's stamped on it Rem 700 but just isn't sitting down on the round of the reciver fully. What about the 30 moa? Is it to much? Should I go for 20 moa? Any opinions on the Warren rails? Or is there much difference in the makes? Or should I ask the moa question on the long range shooting category? I am not sure how much adjustment I will get with a pm11 scope.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.