fixed 4x mil dot

Buckinrut25

Hi guys, I need to replace my scope on my brush gun. It it a 260 rem with a 16.5 barrel. My goal is to keep this a light weight rifle for deer and dogs inside 400 yds average shot is inside 60yds. I like to keep things simple I want a fixed 4x scope with either mil or moa reticle with capped turrets. I would like to stay around 500 or less. Does such a scope exist in decent quality?

I don't know of anything like that. Why do you want a milling reticle for such a short target range? I mildot reticle would probably be too small at 4X to be useful. Why not go with an ACOG-type sight? There are many variations on that theme that have BDC recicles.

I have never really cared for a BDC. Due to the short barrel I'm only getting about 2350 fps with the most accurate load. I can find loads that are much faster just not as accurate. At 400 yds I'm 3.2 mil so I figured it would be nice to keep it simple and just hold over.

I can see your point on the mil dots being very small guess I was hoping someone made a mill hash reticle. I'm open to other options. I want light weight, simple, decent in low light and mil reticle. I'm a big fan of fixed optics for simplicity. Just less things to fail. One I am concidering is the IOR Valdada 6x42 with the mp8. I want lower magnification due to close up low light shots in the morning brush. Are there any good options I'm overlooking that will be good from 0 to 400 yds?

I got nothin' in the fixed category that wasn't designed for an AR-15 sight height, which is too high for most other guns. My brush gun is a Browning BLR in 358 Win. I use a Burris 2-7x35 E1. You might prefer the simpler reticle in the Burris Droptine 2-7x35. These scopes have good optics for the money and they are rugged too. My BLR is a hard-kicking rile and the Burris has had no problems.
Burris Droptine 2-7x35

If you set the magnification to about 5X, the reticle holdoffs will be about right for your drops. For my 358 Win loads 6X works almost perfectly out to 400 yds. I set mine to 2X while hiking for quick shots in case something jumps out of the brush.

If I go with variable power I would want ffp. That does look like a lot of scope for the money. Any other suggestions?

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.