Fitting a bat model m action into a chassis for a rem 700 long ?

Bob lee

I know the bolt release will have to be milled out and probably some material removed for the bolt handle to close, anything else ?

Last edited:
About everything on an M is very different than a 700. The length and diameter is different. The lug is in the middle rather than between the barrel and action. The rear tang is much thicker and a different shape. The trigger goes in a hanger that is not like a Remington at all. I'm guessing the depth of the stock for how far the trigger is going to stick out the bottom is a different height. I would call the stock maker and see if they can run the model M inlet program over the top of the 700 to make it fit.

BAT_Model_M_Action.jpg

The model you pictured is the octagon with integrated lug , I should have been more specific , the model I will use will be round and will not have the integrated recoil lug . an e mail to bat returns a response of milling the bolt release and opening for bolt handle according to a stock maker I asked to inlet a stock for this Action as they relay to me that bat tells them that is all that is necessary. It don't seem right to me as the round bat is 1.55 diameter and I think a remington is around 1.38? And isn't the length of a rem long action around 9 inches . I'm at work so I can't check right now but the bat is 8.500. I also don't know if the bolt hole spacing is close? I was not aware that rem 700 triggers dont work .

The 700 trigger does work. It is pinned into a hanger that is then bolted to the action. The round and the octagon have a bolt on lug. It's not integral.

2014-06-01_19-17-48_779_zps1ba564a4.jpg

Ok, my misunderstanding on the lug , this is my first bat action I am not at all familiar with them other than those reputation , when ordering I was asked if I wanted a integral lug and said no and then was asked if I want a bolt on lug and also declined so now I am really unsure as to what I will get , I assumed a lug like a remington action uses but perhaps I better call and ask , once again thank you .

Ok, my misunderstanding on the lug , this is my first bat action I am not at all familiar with them other than those reputation , when ordering I was asked if I wanted a integral lug and said no and then was asked if I want a bolt on lug and also declined so now I am really unsure as to what I will get , I assumed a lug like a remington action uses but perhaps I better call and ask , once again thank you .

They will probably not provide the lug and whoever fits the barrel will have to make or re-use about from a Remington. If you are going to do it like that, it might just work if action screw spacing is the same.

I was thinking the same thing , if I can find a rem style lug that is big enough , I'm not sure if the standard rem lug would work with the barrel outer diameter being 1.450, I usually run the tubb oversize lug , I'll have to see if I can find dimnsions .

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.