Fishing for an answer

nomadhunter

Due to a lack of various resources and pool of experienced friends, I am going to ask a question to those who have mounted copious amounts of scopes, especially on Winchester M70, particularly the .270 Super Grade.
I am considering, soon enough, to mount the Leupold FX3 6x42 - Objective diameter is 1.90", to the Win .270.
Question: will I be able to use low mounts without any scope to bore or action interference?

P.S. I have posed this question prior to the forum, but I don't think I asked it correctly and I have asked Leuplod; the responder couldn't give me a direct answer and Winchester is tough to contact via email. This will be my last attempt then I will make the time to place a call to Winchester.

Last edited:
Probably not. I would suspect that would take medium size rings.
Realize that every brand of base and rings has its own specs for height, so one company's low or medium doesn't match another.

Having said that, Leupold VX-2 3-9x40s often require a medium ring, and they are 1.80"

Unfortunately you'll have to test your desired base/ring combination to find out.

I have used Leupold dovetail mounts (low) on a couple of Remington 700s with 40mm scopes. Plenty of clearance. You don't specify which mounts or rings you want to use but with a 42mm objective I would be very surprised if you could find mounts that are too low.

Winchester probably can't help you, contact the manufacturer of the scope mounts/rings to be 100% sure.

Due to a lack of various resources and pool of experienced friends, I am going to ask a question to those who have mounted copious amounts of scopes, especially on Winchester M70, particularly the .270 Super Grade.
I am considering, soon enough, to mount the Leupold FX3 6x42 - Objective diameter is 1.90", to the Win .270.
Question: will I be able to use low mounts without any scope to bore or action interference?

P.S. I have posed this question prior to the forum, but I don't think I asked it correctly and I have asked Leuplod; the responder couldn't give me a direct answer and Winchester is tough to contact via email. This will be my last attempt then I will make the time to place a call to Winchester.

In all fairness to Leupold you wanted to match low rings you had on your existing model 70 but you didn't have the new Super Grade and Leupold told you if barrel contour match low ring should work.

As some posted just buy low and med rings. If you have rifle now and scope base why not take scope off old model 70 put it on the new one see if it fits. I don't know what extra set of rings cost but that may be best choice.

I just mounted a vx3 3.5-10x50 on a Model Seven with medium mounts. It came with low mounts, but was barely too low. Leupold lists the size of the objective that the rings can be used with on the package.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.