First yote with 6.5

BrentM

Interesting day today. Took my boy, buddy, and his kid up the mountain for wolf and yote hunting. Missed 1 at 1300 and we think I hit the next one at the same distance but didn't chose to hike down then back up the next mountain. Wind was wild and blowing fog around, clam, then 15. You know typical mountain shooting.
Found another pair getting ready to hammer some deer. 730 and across the draw. I read the wind like a blind man reading the Sunday paper. Bad bad bad I managed to hit the yote and recover it but the read on the wind when it was full was 2 moa off. Geesh

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 114
What cartridge and bullet were you using?

6.5-284. I was shooting 160 matrix bullets at 2760. Not sure what to think about the bullet performance yet. Penciled right thru abdomen. Might have to switch back to my bergers for yotes. If they penciled at 730 I would imagine at 1300 internal damage would be weak.

I worked up a new load and stepped BC for my 204 and went goofing around with it today. We tried shooting little balloons at 620. Ami did a fine job behind the trigger and let me shoot the last 5. Man she really likes that rifle ha ha. She killed 2 and scared the snot out of them with her 15 rounds. I only killed 1 with the 5 she let me shoot. I found it wasn't her fault that she was missing really. The wind died down and I didnt catch it until I got behind the trigger. We were shooting from a protected spot that was awesome. Took me a few shots to GET it, then made the correction and hit the target. I think this rifle will be good out to 700 on the flee bags.

Last edited:
I'm shooting a 6.5 creedmoor and want to try the Hornady 140 BTHP match and see how they do. I haven't read any reports of people using these bullets yet so I'll report when I finally draw blood.

Nice shooting by the way! Wish you could have recovered the 1300 yard dog!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.