First Varmint Rifle

matt_3479

I have been looking into getting a varmint rifle for a long time. When i head out i take my buddy's 223. rem or take one of my 22 LRs or 12 gauges. Now my buddy is starting to really like varmint hunting so he comes more often meaning im stuck with a shotgun or 22. I need to get a varmint round and im stock between models, makes and even calibers.

everyone tells me to get the 223. rem but i dont want it so please dont suggest it. Im interested in the 204 ruger but i dont hear much on it. No goods, no bads. nothing. Im also interested in the 22-250 and thats the caliber i believe i will stick with.

I really like the Remington model 700 VS SF II, nice looking rifle. But theres plenty of options out there and i was wondering what you guys shoot and if you have any suggestions.

thanks

-Matt

a vssf in 22-250 is a great choice. i have one. killed a lot of coyotes and crows. 35.5 of benchmark and 50 baltip

Matt: Check out the .204. I just bought my second one, a Cooper Varminter, for not much more than the VSSF II which was being considered, too. Am selling the .22-250's, not because the cal. isn't a good one - it is. The "winning" feature of the .204 Ruger is the lack of recoil which lets you see your shot and stay on target. If you're going to shoot factory ammo, the choices are fewer with the .204 but the cost is less; the Hornady 45 gr. soft points are good on coyotes.
As for a rifle: the best deal on a shooter is the CZ 527, preferably the Varmint model. Comes with a set trigger and handy detachable mag.
Also, you might check out www.204ruger.com

Last edited:
My favorite is the 204 as well. I now have three of them and they do get quite a bit more use than my 243. I still enjoy taking out the 243 for yotes and p-dogs but only gets used about 10% of the time.

Years ago I started out with a 222 Rem Sako followed with a 220 Swift, 22-250 Rem, 223 Rem, and a 204 Ruger Ruger Target Varmint rifle. I reload 32 Gr and 39 Gr bullets for the 204 rifle. Its plenty good for shots out to 300 yards. One of the best local yote hunters only uses the 204 . Take a look at www.rugerhunting.com Its all about the 204 round.

matt_3479,
The .22-250 is hard to beat...therefore its' reputation as "the varmint caliber". It offers the flatest trajectory, excellent accuracy, several bullet weights/choices and several good manufacturers.

I'm very partial to the Savage/Stevens line of rifles, due to their out-of-the-box accuracy. :cool:

Often the caliber choice can be determined by your location. Bullets skips and ricochets can be a varmint hunter's nightmare with residential housing as a background. If this isn't a concern, then there's even more options in calibers. :)

I use a RRA A4 Varmint .223 for groundhogs, but I use a Stevens .25-06 for coyotes.

Good luck with your choices!
Good hunting, Bowhunter57

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.