First trip to Saskatchewan, looking for advice

Ive hunted all over Canada/Alaska and I will agree with the layer up I use wool primarily and various wicking base layers. I wear gortex outer layer to cut off the wind even in a box blind. I want to answer the boot question you asked I use Muck boots they are 1600 grain thinsilate but I wear a pair of nylon socks with wool over them inside the boots and it works well for me. That being said I work outside all year around (in WA state) so I am kind of climatized somewhat. For gloves I wear usually a pair of heavy rag wool mittens over nomex flight gloves (ex Military here) and unless deer are present I keep my hands in my gortex coat pockets. The mittens are the kind that are split so I can get my fingers or thumbs out by folding them back if that makes sense.

My other advice is judge carefully big bodied deer sometimes make rack look smaller when they are actually a great buck. My first time in canada first day in blind I took pictures of a buck didnt shoot and he was the best buck seen the whole trip. Now I like to think I know better haha

Here's my head to toe cold weather hunting set up for 11 hour a day sits in WI.

Balaclava- I made my own out of a long windproof thinsulate stocking cap, bc I hate having anything over my ears that hurts my hearing. I put it on, pull it down to my shoulders and mark it with a marker. Then cut it out. Its near impossible to guess how it will stretch otherwise. It's ugly but warm.

Howard Leight Impact Sports- one I hunt with a brake so they are necessary, two they amplify, three they keep your ears warm, four during the mid day lulls I can listen to a football game.

Slippery layers of insulation- I wear a base layer of capilene, Eddie Bower nylon/Primaloft long underwear, fleece if necessary, and a puffy nylon vest. All these are warm for their weight and do not bind. If you sit day after day in heavy clothes that you have to fight every time you move it wears you down. Think Ralphie's little brother. "I can't put my arms down"

Insulated wind proof Coveralls- One piece outerwear is more efficient than a separate top and bottom. I also laugh anytime a person puts on a windproof item that isn't the outermost layer. Don't let the wind in at all.

I wear a heavy glove or mit on my off hand with a hand warmer. I usually wear a fingerless glove on my trigger hand. I put a hand warmer on the back of my hand where the veins are close to the surface. Most of the time I keep that hand in my pocket or a muff that I wear around my waist.

Boot Blankets- On cold days these go over pac boots on moderate days you can wear lighter boots. When I am coming and going from my stand I hood them on my pack with a carabiner.

Moving with all of this on will get you sweaty not matter how cold it is. I unzip and vent out as much as possible until I am in my stand, then I zip up. Starting out damp makes a long day.

Good luck.

This will be my first trip to Saskatchewan to hunt whitetail 3rd week of November. I'm mainly curious about what type of weather to expect and what type of clothes and anything extra to bring to make the hunt more enjoyable. Thanks for any advice.
Sounds like fun but remember that this is a Prairie Provence so be prepared for the wind !! November can be changeable with warm and cold days so bring gear for both.

Great tip early in this thread.
I never heard of Watson Gloves.
Wow looks like great quality.
Looks like I will need to try out those cold weather mittens and Gloves. Great tip. Marty

Do you have your rifle registered with US Customs? Form 4457 needs to be filed with US Customs before you leave the country. My first trip to Canada I didn't do it and WHAT A PAIN getting back into the states.

I never expected to see so many well informed Saskatchewan hunters and a lot of good advice. I would add that getting off the well traveled areas is also a plus, as often there can be more and one hunting team in a field.

I wear mitts. Nothing is warmer than mittens. I use the ones where the finger pouch flips back to the back of your hand and sticks to a magnet. Mine has a very thin glove that you can easily pull the trigger with. They have a pouch for hand warmers too. If it's a sit down hunt I wear ice fishing boots. They are slightly loose so you get good blood flow and they are super warm. If your stalking any good boot will do.
A neck tube will really help also. I take 2 and if my head gets cold I put the other one on my hat. A thermal seat is a must. That's all I got. Shep

This will be my first trip to Saskatchewan to hunt whitetail 3rd week of November. I'm mainly curious about what type of weather to expect and what type of clothes and anything extra to bring to make the hunt more enjoyable. Thanks for any advice.
take some hand warmers 3-4 pair per day and you can slip them into your boots too. Helly Hansen workwear base layer the ones that will wick moisture away from your body. To keep dry is to keep warm and good luck. Alot of people swear by the rubber boots that have felt packs inside, if you have the space take two different kinds of footwear sometimes it can be warm in Sk. that time of year 32-50 degrees Fahrenheit up till X-mas and beyond .

Last edited:
Are you flying or driving?
If flying a good case is needed as the case is usually handled like any baggage and comes flopping out onto the carousel. I've used SKB double and single cases.

Otherwise, so much good input. For me this possible cold would necessitate:
Hooded Insulated Coverall
Mittens as well as good waterproof gloves
We use -30F Cabelas sleeping bags
Layered base including balaklava
Pac boots as well as good insulated hiking boots w/footwarmers for extremes.

good luck, be safe, have fun:eek:

I flew into Sask. airport in the late 80s once around the time you are going. It was -50 not kidding it can get very cold. The big bucks like to hand out in the groves of trees (maybe poplar or aspen not sure) surrounded by open fields walk through them they can hold tight (dpening on hunting pressure) good luck. I have seen some monster there!

Very cold and crispy dry. Snow will sometimes make noise when you walk on it. Dress warm, but in layers to avoid sweating. Google Canadian winter clothing images to get an idea. Sometimes must cover face and mouth as well. It's Awesome you will love it !! SE <><

Gloves are useless when it's that cold no matter how good they are. You need mitts and good ones. The wind is what will get you. Good quality underwear, a fur hat to keep ears from freezing, dress in layers but you are going to need a good heavy coat. Whoever suggested normal hunting boots never lived in SK. Trust me. Get good boots, not too heavy but good quality and thick socks, two layers of socks. Don't ever underestimate how cold it gets up here.

We're driving up, I flew into yampa valley airport in co, a few years back and witnessed the airport workers throwing a very large cart of rifles down the pickup shoot. They had to know that they were guns but didn't care. I cringed at every case that slammed to the bottom thinking to myself I'm so glad I paid my buddy to drive our guns and gear. (2 drove out and 2 flew in....awesome). Is the form 4457 the same as the permit? My buddy has a gun permit for me to fill out, he didn't go into much detail other than we need it to take our guns

We're driving up, I flew into yampa valley airport in co, a few years back and witnessed the airport workers throwing a very large cart of rifles down the pickup shoot. They had to know that they were guns but didn't care. I cringed at every case that slammed to the bottom thinking to myself I'm so glad I paid my buddy to drive our guns and gear. (2 drove out and 2 flew in....awesome). Is the form 4457 the same as the permit? My buddy has a gun permit for me to fill out, he didn't go into much detail other than we need it to take our guns
Yep a good case goes along ways in air travel. I dont fly and take rifles unless I put them in one of my pelican cases.

here is what is says off the royal Canadian mounted police web page about bringing rifles into canada

Licensing Requirements
Firearm owners and users in Canada must have firearms licences for the class of firearms in their possession. A licence issued under Canada's Firearms Act is different from a provincial hunting licence.

Non-residents have two options for meeting the Canadian licensing requirements:

Option 1
Declare firearms in writing to a customs officer at the point of entry to Canada, using the Non-Resident Firearm Declaration (form RCMP 5589).

If there are more than three firearms, a Non-Resident Firearm Declaration Continuation Sheet (form RCMP 5590) should be added.

The declaration form should be filled out prior to arrival at the point of entry, in order to save time. However, it should not be signed before arriving at the entry point, as a Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) customs officer must witness the signature.

A confirmed declaration costs a flat fee of $25, regardless of the number of firearms listed on it. It is valid only for the person who signs it and only for those firearms listed on the declaration.

Once the declaration has been confirmed by the CBSA customs officer, it acts as a licence for the owner and it is valid for 60 days. The declaration can be renewed for free, providing it is renewed before it expires, by contacting the Chief Firearms Officer (call 1-800-731-4000) of the relevant province or territory.

Option 2
Apply for a five-year Possession and Acquisition Licence (PAL).

To apply for a PAL, applicants must provide evidence that they have passed the written and practical tests for the Canadian Firearms Safety Course. A course from another country does not meet Canadian legal requirements.

The CFO of the province or territory to be visited can provide information on any other documents that will be required to complete the background security check.

With a Canadian firearms licence, there is no need to complete the Non-Resident Firearms Declaration. However, an oral declaration must still be made to the customs officer.

Hope that helps we always do our firearms declaration about a month ahead of time and I have driven into Canada to hunt several times.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.