First Trapping then.............

Greg Duerr

I saw that the Sierra Club received 5000 signatures and sent them to Obama asking him to do an executive Order banning all leg hold and snare trapping Nation wide.............................

I was told by our local Fish and Game Office that the elimination of trapping is the first step to ban hunting.

Whats your personal opinion of Leg Hold Trapping?

It's all part of the plan. Without trapping managing predators, which is already difficult, would become nearly impossible in some areas. This is especially true for wolf management in low population are rugged terrain areas. Get rid of trapping and they accomplish their goal of fewer animals to hunt.

This country was built on trapping. It is no more inhumane than any other form of dispatch if done with respect for your quarry.

Scot E.

Are you kidding? Trap bans are a systematic approach to eliminating the taking of all animals.

Foothold Traps: Foothold traps are not the traps of the vivid imagination in Disney movies. It is virtually impossible to find them anymore with teeth. Foothold traps of today can be had that will cause little or no damage. I've released countless animals caught in foothold traps that had little or no visible damage to the foot and the animal ran of without any perceptible impairment of it's gait. Foothold traps are a "live" trap. As with any restraint equipment, such as a dog leash, it can be misused but foothold traps are an appropriate tool to use

Snares: Detractors of snares are generally uninformed, without any practical experience. They would have you believe they catch anything and everything. Nothing could be further from the truth. They are highly selective in what animal they can capture. They can either be made lethal or non-lethal depending upon you need. Proper use can minimize or virtually eliminate non-target ungulate or livestock captures.

In short, if you support your right to hunt and fish, you should rally and fight any and all attempts to ban traps in your area and support the work to overturn existing trap bans.

It's amazing how in this country that gathering signatures to get an executive order is now a method of legislating, there has been a complete tear down of the division of powers and checks and balances in this nation!

Trapping and hunting with dogs has always been the precursor to the elimination of hunting and general access to public lands by those of us how view them both as a renewable resource and wonderful place to be.

The animal rights movement is not about animals at all, they just play the pawn in the real game which is power and control over other peoples rights and their pursuit of life and liberty!!

The techonology of trapping now days is fantastic, my leg holds are fully modified and very powerful yet will hold a bobcat so perfectly I can release a female completely unharmed and not signs of being in a trap. My snares provide such a quick humane death that I can reuse them a couple times on coyotes before discarding them yet I can use them around live stock and game without issues when applying some common sense and blocking.
There has been some some bad trapping done in the past but I firmly believe that a strong trapping organization in state and involved and strong trapping training courses will strengthen out claim on trapping as one of thee most humane and effective wildlife management tools.

The only people who are truly concerned about the welfare of the wildlife are some in the state management and trappers, the anti crowd could not care if wildlife die of mange, tularemia and plague leaving our land barren of wild animals as long as they can exert power of those of use who actually do care and manage our wildlife!

In Nevada there was a huge push to go to a 24 hour check. Lots of Pressure on state Legislatures who are elected officaials. We were fortunate this year as they left it up to the Nevada Dept of Wildlife to make the call. Wise chose since we pay them to know what works. I hope that in the future the State leaves the decisions of Wildlife up to the Wildlife dept and not based on who will or will not vote for them.

Foothold Traps: Foothold traps are not the traps of the vivid imagination in Disney movies. It is virtually impossible to find them anymore with teeth. Foothold traps of today can be had that will cause little or no damage. I've released countless animals caught in foothold traps that had little or no visible damage to the foot and the animal ran of without any perceptible impairment of it's gait. Foothold traps are a "live" trap. As with any restraint equipment, such as a dog leash, it can be misused but foothold traps are an appropriate tool to use

Snares: Detractors of snares are generally uninformed, without any practical experience. They would have you believe they catch anything and everything. Nothing could be further from the truth. They are highly selective in what animal they can capture. They can either be made lethal or non-lethal depending upon you need. Proper use can minimize or virtually eliminate non-target ungulate or livestock captures.

I didnt know that. I am a huge hunter (clearly by being on this forum :D) and I always thought foothold traps as pretty terrible. Its good to know there is an alternative to older traps and (simply put) the uneducated imagination.

I have used snares for rabbits before and thought they were amazing. The animals own speed/strength dispatches them quickly.

Also, would hog traps (like the cages, pens, and dropping doors) count as trapping? If so alot of farmers would be screwed in the South East if this were to become a law. I personally think this is one of the most humane traps there are and it even allows you to relocate the animal!

I didnt know that. I am a huge hunter (clearly by being on this forum :D) and I always thought foothold traps as pretty terrible. Its good to know there is an alternative to older traps and (simply put) the uneducated imagination.

I have used snares for rabbits before and thought they were amazing. The animals own speed/strength dispatches them quickly.

Also, would hog traps (like the cages, pens, and dropping doors) count as trapping? If so alot of farmers would be screwed in the South East if this were to become a law. I personally think this is one of the most humane traps there are and it even allows you to relocate the animal!

Just like a hammer can mangle the users hand, a car can be a transportation tool or a 1 ton killing machine, a trap can cause foot damage by using the wrong trap the wrong way. That's not a trap problem, that's a user problem.

Yes a hog trap is very much a trap but generally trap bans do not apply to spring loaded or gravity activated cage traps. The term "humane" is more about the trapper than the trap. I have seen some animals die some very hard deaths in a cage trap. Foothold Traps are a "live trap" that can be used in a humane fashion.

Im not sure about Cage Traps but I know they want Leghold an snares make illegal across the board Nation wide. Then if they get that they will go after Cage Trapping. What's next probably all Military style weapon's like Rifles with scopes, after all aren't they really Sniper Rifles.

I know several Avid Hunters that are apposed to trapping, they have no idea that the anti's are really after them in the end.

I would never turn my back on our President as who knows what he might do with and executive order.

Frankly, the most inhumane trap in existence is the human womb. 1,500,000 times each year some doctor walks between the knees of a willing woman, inserts a certain instrument into the trap and squashes the head of the entrapped. Unless of course the entrapped has grown too large to be safely removed from the trap after being killed. In these cases, ( 35000 times each yr in the US ) the entrapped is breached in the womb, pulled out of the trap by it's hind legs, and finally being killed by inserting a sharp instrument into the brain cavity while it's head is still inside the birth canal.

It is very important that the head is still in the birth canal when the entrapped is killed because it would be 1st degree murder if the top of the head clears the plane of the left and right labia prior to being killed.

Soo Whisper, could we agree that steel traps are the result of uneducated imagination just as the process described above is the result of educated imagination. I know it must be EDUCATED IMAGINATION at work because it is political and academic elites that are sponsoring these acts.

The techonology of trapping now days is fantastic, my leg holds are fully modified and very powerful yet will hold a bobcat so perfectly I can release a female completely unharmed and not signs of being in a trap.

Mr bigngreen: Can you do me a favor and tell me briefly how you get a bobcat out of a trap without getting the living S*** chewed and clawed out of you!!

Mr bigngreen: Can you do me a favor and tell me briefly how you get a bobcat out of a trap without getting the living S*** chewed and clawed out of you!!

Well, the easiest is a catch pole which I carry when I'm running cat sets, you noose them and roll them on their back and pin them length wise with the pole and your foot while releasing them, the trick is getting rid of them. Bobcats choke out very easy so you have to be easy on the noose, a coyote will just lay down but not choke out, I give them a good swing and release the noose to land them on the other side of something so they don't immediately come back at you, if they land at your feet you have two options, run like hell or try to fight your way out of it, so far the running option has worked :D

Well, the easiest is a catch pole which I carry when I'm running cat sets, you noose them and roll them on their back and pin them length wise with the pole and your foot while releasing them, the trick is getting rid of them. Bobcats choke out very easy so you have to be easy on the noose, a coyote will just lay down but not choke out, I give them a good swing and release the noose to land them on the other side of something so they don't immediately come back at you, if they land at your feet you have two options, run like hell or try to fight your way out of it, so far the running option has worked :D

It STILL sounds like a good way to get the living **** clawed out of you!!.....lol

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.