First time shooting out to 600 and 700 yds

Korhil78

Today, I decided that I was going to stretch out my beloved 25-06. I decided that I would set my goal at 700 yards and see how it went. I shot 3 shots at 400 yds on a paper target just to get some trigger time before moving back. Those 3 shots measured 2.2". So I moved back to 500 yds and looked at my shooter app and it called for 8 MOA up and 1.4 MOA left as there was a 5-8 mph wind blowing from west to east. It was a first round hit and is the bullet splash on the far left of the 10" steel plate that is shown below. I have shot at 500 quite a bit so one shot was enough. I then moved back into the virgin territory of 600 yds. Shooter called for 11 MOA up and 1.7 MOA left. Dialed it in and let it go and it was a first round hit even though I felt that I had slapped the trigger a bit. I could see that I had hit low on the plate so I put another one down range and that round hit just below the calipers in the picture to the right of the orange about 1". I was stoked so I moved back to 700 yds. I dialed in 14 MOA up and 2 MOA left but I decided i would move it 2.5 MOA and as it turns out, I should have listened to shooter haha. I shot and the bullet splash on the berm was just BARELY to the left of the plate. I decided to shoot another to see if it was shooter error and it hit in the same area as the first. I was a little mad that I didnt hit it on the first shot but live and learn! I moved it back 1 MOA to the right (which was wrong, I should have only moved .5 MOA right) and shot. It was hit but it hit on the far right of the plate. Decided to listen to shooter finally (I had the dumb look of a kid who didnt listen to their dad but should have) and moved it for a total of 2 MOA left. I squeezed the trigger and heard the whack of the plate but I couldn't see where I was hitting as the mirage was getting worse. I fired two more rounds off and both were hits but I still couldnt see where they were. I hopped in my truck and went down to take a look. I was very pleased! 3.8" 3 shot group for my first grouping and shooting at 700 yds! It was a lot of fun to say the least. The three shot group are the three feint splashes in the middle of the plate.

plate.jpg

Good shootin. Glad to know I'm not the only one that thinks my gut is smarter that my ballistic programs, lol.

congratulations, thats quite impressive shooting. What is your bullet/ load of choice if you don't mind sharing. I know the first time I shot at 600yds was with my 223 Rem. That was quite a lesson in wind reading especially since I don't have a shooter app or any of that kind of technology.

It is a rem700 bdl. The only thing that has changed on it is the stock. I have a hogue over molded stock on it and I did a little trigger work on it. It has a leupold 6.5-20x40 on it. I have had this gun for 13 years. My dad actually bought it from a pawn shop for $400 dollars back then. It was def. a good buy since it will consistently hold right around half MOA all the way out to 500 yds and now it looks like it will do around half MOA to 700 as well.

Load:

Norma brass
115 gr Berger
54 gr of H4831 SC
2.740 OAL measuring off the ogive with the Hornady OAL gauge
CCI BR-2 large rifle primers
Velocity is 3050 fps +\- 10 fps

Very well done. As for the being smarter than the calculator that's called "testosterone"... .gun)

As hard as we like to try sometimes you just can't beat the math.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.