First Time Reloading 270

MCSniper1962

Morning guys, As u can tell Im new here, so I'll through out this question. I just bought a savage 270 and reloaded some brass. I reloaded 130 grn hornady sp, started at 52 grns of h4831. I loaded from 52 to 56 grns (3 rounds per load). At100 yds will I be able to tell much? I would like to pick the best grouping then work around that to hone it in. I will be using this for a antelope hunt, hopefully this fall. So what do u guys think, heading down the right path????

Thanks Chris

sounds good to me.IMR 4831 worked good for me when I had a 270.if I remember I used 54 to 56 grains of it.but really cannot remember.the 130 grain weight was all so the weight of choice for me.but I used a NBT.just don't take my load info because Hogden and Imr are a little different in burn rate.so go shoot and see waht happens.then tell us the story. John

Chris,

My Hornady manual shows a starting load of 52.3 gr of H4831 and max of 62 gr with 130 grain bullets so I think you are pretty well on the right road. You may even have a little more on the top end available, but as always, start low and go slow and watch for pressure signs.

As far as distance, 100 will work, I like 2-300 even more once I start to get in the general ballpark of my load as your differences are more evident than at 100. However, there has been a lot of load development done at 100 if that is all you have available to you.

Good Luck and Be safe! Let us know how it goes.

Totch

Welcome MC,

You might check out RL17. It seems to do well in the .06 case and varients. Alliant recommends 54 gr as max with a Speer 130 BTSP. Ive found their data to be a little on the conservative side, but of course start low and work up.

Once you're on paper, I would recommend going to at least 200 yds and 300 would be better for load accuracy development. It's really hard to tell what's going on at 100.

Regards,

Mark

My standard load for a 270 Win with a 130 gr bullet that has shot the tightest in a bunch of rifles is 60 grs H-4831. Play with the seating depth but normaly 10 thousands off the lands has worked great for me. I use Sierra and Nosler ballistic tips mostly. They hammer deer so they should do a number on a goat.

Thank you to all who responded. I have begun "breakin in" the barrel and can't wait to start my load data to group her in tight. I have also been doing this with my .223 and for some reason the 223 doesn't kick as much as the new 270. lol.... Yhanks again forall that replied, especially thhose that wrote in their load data..

Chris

Really hard to tell what is going on at 100. If you have a range that you can shoot i think 300 is good (or even further). Since you already have the cartridges loaded up the same where hopefully the only variable is powder charge (and your ability), you could do a short ladder test but you need the longer distance for this test. There are several REALLY good articles on this site helping you know what works to "tune in" loads for any cartridge.

Chris, Not knowing the details of your rifle, factory bolt action, custom barrel, and etc makes it a little more challenging to offer advise.

I have owned two 270 Win's in my time. I reloaded for both. I have excellent results using the Sierra 130gr SBT Gameking bullet myself. But these days, I think the newer plastic tip bullets might be a better choice. If you can get the Nolser Accubond to shoot, that may be a good choice.

I used IMR4350 in my M700BDL (22" bbl) and that rifle shot very well. It was shooting 3025 fps and 3/4 moa.

In my Tikka T3 Lite (22" bbl) I got on the band wagon and I am using H4831SC. I had to stop at 59.4 grs of powder, RP Brass, CCI200, 130gr SPBT. This rifle shoots 2930 fps and 1/2 moa. This is a max load for this rifle and that is where I had to stop.

Some guys are getting over 3100 fps - I have never been able to push any of my factory 270 with a factory barrel up there. the alias you chose indicates you understand the need to stop at the group minimas versus stopping just prior to the primers falling out of the brass. :D

A lot of guys are having excellent results with RL-22. Don't overlook that powder.

Oh yes, that old M700 of mine, when sited in 3" high at 100 yds for the 130gr load, it would shoot a 160gr Nosler PT Semi-Spitzer axactly 1" hi and 1" to the left. This is my dark timber elk load.

I use IMR4831, 54.5grains, bullet Hornady 130grain SST, and Sierra ProHunter 130grain. It has worked very well for me so far. But every rifle shoots different that is why you need to look for the perfect load for yours. Adding a chronograph to your process and being able to know what velocities are you getting will also help decide what load is best for you.
How far away are you planing to shoot with it? and what scope did you buy for that rifle?
Anyway, good luck, and have fun with it.

Using RE-19, RE-22 and RE-15 I developed very stable loads in combination with 130 gr SGK and 140 SGK, say using 46 grains of RL-15 and seating 130 gr SGK to 3.31 OAL produced 0.65" 5 shot group at 100 yards, or 53.5 gr of RE-19 and 130 gr SGK seated at 3.22 OAL 0.49" 5 shot group and 56.7 gr of RL-22 and 130 gr SGK seated at 3.30" produced 0.54" group, with 55.2 gr of RE-22 and 140 gr SGK the result was 0.54" group., good luck ;-)

Last edited:
Morning guys, As u can tell Im new here, so I'll through out this question. I just bought a savage 270 and reloaded some brass. I reloaded 130 grn hornady sp, started at 52 grns of h4831. I loaded from 52 to 56 grns (3 rounds per load). At100 yds will I be able to tell much? I would like to pick the best grouping then work around that to hone it in. I will be using this for a antelope hunt, hopefully this fall. So what do u guys think, heading down the right path????

Thanks Chris
Where did you get your load data from??
I have the minimum load for 130gr proj as 56gr minimum & 60gr as maximum(compressed).
My go to load for my Rem SPS .270 Varmint is - 130gr Hornady SST, 57gr H4831 seated 15thou off the lands.
I have also used W760 & H4350 but the H4831 worked best!!

Hope that helps.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.