First time Long Range Rifle

Greg Duerr

I have a good friend who wants a Long Range Deer Rifle and Im having a hard time stearing him away from a factory Savage rifle. Right now he seems bent on getting a .270, does not want to hear anything about the .280 but keeps looking back at the 30-06. However, for him 400 yds it the longest yardage he will consider shooting to.
I've told him to spend the $$ and order himself a Cooper Rifle but he just keeps going back to a factory Savage. He is frustrated because the Savage 111 he does have wont give him groups of .5 or less at 100 but groups that are at best 1.5 at 50yds...............Im about to just tell you do what you feel you want to do .
Not sure what to say to him.........................However what recommendations in Cartridge would you recommend IF you were only going to hunt for Deer...........

For a dedicated deer rifle, I would consider the following cartridges for 400 yard max, in the order I would choose them:
7mm-08
280 or 280 AI
6.5 x 284 (or any 6.5/260 cartridge)
243 win
(for no logical reasons, I've never been a 270 guy)

I would personally never make a 400 yard dedicated deer rifle .308 or bigger. Also cannot imagine fully expecting 1/2moa with any factory rifle. You can always get lucky and some are very accurate right out of the box, but to me it seems like you've gotta bring more to the table to guarantee 1/2moa. I like the "do it once, do it right" approach.

I seem to always get into similar conversations with some of my friends. Most of the time I can show them energy #'s or other kinds of tech data to steer them in a particular direction, but other times it's just a waste of breath. Last year had a friend all ready to get a nice elk rifle, and then ended up buying some budget *** used winchester with a plastic stock, topped it with ziess optics. His best groups ended up no better than 4 inches at 100 yards, and that was after spending over $250 on every different kind of factory ammo he could find in stock. I was literally stunned at the decisions he ended up spending money on.

Spend the money for a good barrel for his Savage. I would do a 6.5 or 7mm for a deer only gun. There is nothing wrong with a .270 except the bullet selection for LR if he works up to it unless he does a 9 twist to shoot the Matrix VLD's.

I have a good friend who wants a Long Range Deer Rifle and Im having a hard time stearing him away from a factory Savage rifle. Right now he seems bent on getting a .270, does not want to hear anything about the .280 but keeps looking back at the 30-06. However, for him 400 yds it the longest yardage he will consider shooting to.
I've told him to spend the $$ and order himself a Cooper Rifle but he just keeps going back to a factory Savage. He is frustrated because the Savage 111 he does have wont give him groups of .5 or less at 100 but groups that are at best 1.5 at 50yds...............Im about to just tell you do what you feel you want to do .
Not sure what to say to him.........................However what recommendations in Cartridge would you recommend IF you were only going to hunt for Deer...........

The last two Savage factory rifles I played with were a 30-06 and 6.5x284, tuned up the action screws and both shot 1/2 MOA with what the owner wanted. The 6.5x284 was really nice. The 270 will do anything the 280 will, if your elevation is enough you can shoot the Matrix 165 from a 1-10 easily but for 400 yards we use them for elk and deer all the time with a 140 Berger, the 270 or 6.5 are my go to calibers though I really like a 250 Savage!

Is your buddy going to reload or shoot only factory ammo? That will be a big consideration on the cartridge. Maybe explain how rare 1/2 MOA factory rifles are without a boatload of load workup. Probably the easiest route would be a 308 which has a plethora of match ammo to choose from and many proven loads to start with if reloading.

Ive emailed my friend several time today and his mind is set against any 7mm's Not sure why, I did ask him but have not heard back. He just said that he is not interested in a 7mm especially the 7mm WSM. He does not like the 6.5mm at all either. He is convinced that for LR Deer Hunting the best one is the 30-06 Not interested in a Remington 700 action.
I told him to consider the Remington 700 Sendero......................................No comment

the 30/06 would be perfect for what he needs tell him to look at TC Venture 30/06 mine is sub moa with numerous loads

Ive emailed my friend several time today and his mind is set against any 7mm's Not sure why, I did ask him but have not heard back. He just said that he is not interested in a 7mm especially the 7mm WSM. He does not like the 6.5mm at all either. He is convinced that for LR Deer Hunting the best one is the 30-06 Not interested in a Remington 700 action.
I told him to consider the Remington 700 Sendero......................................No comment

Well I guess to each his own. Kind of seems like he's been stuck on a 30-06 from the beginning. But once you're at 30-06, might as well just jump to a braked 300 RUM! :rolleyes:

I got an email from my friend and he wanted to know why anyone would want a 300 WSM Thought that it was a stupid Idea..............................

He is still convinced that going from a 22" barrel to a 24" will make a rifle much more accurate and easier to sight in...............??????????

I feel that if he wants any more info he needs to go someplace else...........

He seems like one of those guys your not going to convince into anything, I would let him decide for himself and when he needs advice tell him you can't help him....

If he wants a Savage in 30/06 try the 116 FCSS w/ 22" barrel. It is the Weather Warrior series and will do 400 yards no problem. Talk scopes with him but his choice of caliber and rifle is about fixed. The 30/06 is a great round and will hammer a deer at 400 yards with pretty reasonable drop.

All of the magazine comparisons where they do shoot offs put the Savage at the front of the pack for factory rifles. Not that a up grade barrel on another action won't do better but the Savage is at a good price.

Really any of the recommended cartridges will work but a scope is a big part of the picture too. 12X at least, 50mm front end, 30mm tube for adjustment range and stiffness, quality glass and rings to match. Talk him into spending a bit on the top end of the rifle. He's already made up his mind on the rest.

KB

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.