First time hunting Wyoming! Unit 46 type 1

Make sure you have OnyX maps for Wy downloaded on your phone. Your unit has a lot of 1 sq mile hunting segments. Remember you can't cross private land to hunt public land. I'd get there early and find where you want to be opening morning. Be prepared for snow/cold or 80 degrees. You could get both during your trip. Practice shooting in the wind to find your limits. Good luck
Bruce

Take lots of water, gallons. Its dry out there. Spot and stalk, use terrain to your advantage to get within range. Antelope are not big and are closer than they appear. If they run off, they'll come back if you don't chase them away. Patience, look over several herds (driving) before choosing one to stalk and shoot. Watch for private land boundaries, Wyoming is checkerboard public/private land. Get a good map of the unit. Bucks will have a sentinel doe in his herem as his eyes, spook her and they'll all run. Clean them and skin them asap, then into a cooler with ice. I usually skin, then gut antelope. Change the ice several times on the way home. Putting the meat into sealable bags if you don't want waterlogged meat. Use a good rest, I recommend a tall bipod. Aim for the heart. Shoot a big one. Shoot every coyote you can too.

Contact the BLM office for your unit, probably the Cheyenne office get a map of BLM land in your unit. Contact the state biologist for your unit , probably Cheyenne office. Get on google earth evaluate the publicland , ask questions.Get the above mentioned on X app know before you go.if you have any questions feel free to ask.I will also be in Wyoming this season, it is a great hunt. Good luck

Take lots of water, gallons. Its dry out there. Spot and stalk, use terrain to your advantage to get within range. Antelope are not big and are closer than they appear. If they run off, they'll come back if you don't chase them away. Patience, look over several herds (driving) before choosing one to stalk and shoot. Watch for private land boundaries, Wyoming is checkerboard public/private land. Get a good map of the unit. Bucks will have a sentinel doe in his herem as his eyes, spook her and they'll all run. Clean them and skin them asap, then into a cooler with ice. I usually skin, then gut antelope. Change the ice several times on the way home. Putting the meat into sealable bags if you don't want waterlogged meat. Use a good rest, I recommend a tall bipod. Aim for the heart. Shoot a big one. Shoot every coyote you can too.
I would have to add on the long ride home get some dry ice you will not have to change the ice or have waterlogged meet on the long ride I am from Tennessee and did this myself two years ago don't open the cooler once the dry ice is on top of everything else and it will Still be frozen when you get home Also dry ice is available at most grocery stores just ask around

Contact the BLM office for your unit, probably the Cheyenne office get a map of BLM land in your unit. Contact the state biologist for your unit , probably Cheyenne office. Get on google earth evaluate the publicland , ask questions.Get the above mentioned on X app know before you go.if you have any questions feel free to ask.I will also be in Wyoming this season, it is a great hunt. Good luck

Just a FYI - Antelope Hunt Area 46 would be managed by a wildlife biologist out of the Laramie Regional Office.

ClearCreek

..........If you're near an aircraft manufacturer or major aeronautical engineering university, check to see if they'll let you use their wind tunnel for sighting-in. When it's running full tilt.........

1) September in Wyoming doesn't mean the same thing as it does in Alabama. I've been on trips that the wind prohibits setting up a tent, slept in the cab of the truck, or sought motel shelter. Sleeping in the truck doesn't help with marksmanship either. My current shelter is a fully self contained trailer. Be safe, sit it out if you need to.
2) Have your access lined out before you go.
3) A range finder
4) Watch some video on judging antelope. You might not want to shoot the first one you see, or you might. Just watch them you'll learn a bit.
5) Take your time-enjoy your time.

This may be helpful. The state of Wyoming has a list of common hunter mistakes, a very good read it's a single page and worth your time to read and fallow.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-06-23-22-51-23.png
    Screenshot_2019-06-23-22-51-23.png
    189.3 KB · Views: 461
  • Screenshot_2019-06-23-22-52-07.png
    Screenshot_2019-06-23-22-52-07.png
    303.7 KB · Views: 456
Last edited:

A good reference point when shooting is the upper-forward corner of the white markings. Keep you from shooting at the entire animal. Some good picture type targets for practice are very helpful.