First time hog hunt need help

Tommy163

Hello everyone i need some advice my son and I are going on our first hog hunt in Texas. We will be using a 7 mm rem mag and a 300 win mag what is a good bullet to use in those rifles? Thanks for any and all advice.

You've got plenty of horsepower there for shooting pigs. I'd suggest using any premium bullet with confidence. You can't go wrong with a Partition, TSX, Accubond, etc.

Smaller pigs can be dropped with anything.

I hunt hogs on OK and TX all the time. Unless the ranch you're hunting specified to bring weapons for long shots from a stationary position, my experience has been that you'll want shorter barreled repeating rifles for quick manipulation and followup shots. My favorites are AR in 77gr 5.56, 300 BLK, 308 or my Browning BLR in 308. When I'm hunting g an area with monsters (350 lbs +), I'll carry my 1895 SBL in 45-70 with a scout scope. Also, you'll want to carry a sidearm with some decent knockdown power if you'll be walking in the brush and scrub trees. I carry a stainless Judge with 3" chamber loaded with .410 3" 000 buckshot.
Good luck with your hunt and have fun. It should be a time you all remember for a long time.

The 300 and the 7mm have more than enough to drop any hog you'll find.

IMO, shot placement is more important than a particular type of bullet. Go for front shoulder, neck, and head shots. I've used BARNES TTSX BULLETS, Remington Core Locks, and cheap FMJ ammo with great results. My "go to" choice would be the BARNES TTSX for both the 300 and the 7.

Please let us know how your hunt turns out!

I've killed one feral hog with a 180 grain Speer Grand Spam out of a .300 H&H Magnum i the states and 4 warthogs in South Africa with 180 Nosler Partitions out of a .30-06. All bullets exited and were not recovered. The magnum was not necessary, but it was the only rifle I had sighted in at the time of the hunt. You will do fine.

Good luck

Jerry

Shoot them right behind the ear, they will drop like rocks and you won't have to crawl on your knees in the thick brush to find them.

The larger boars have a thick cartlidge plate over the front shoulder, while they will die if shot through the plate you may be tracking them a ways.

Have fun!

i am also first time hog hunter and we are wanting to go to texas for a hunt. cant aford some of the crazy prices for guided hunt so will have to be a diy hunt any ideas where would be a good place to start my reserch to shose a good place to go

if you don't want to pay guide fees, another idea might be to check out the public hunting at wildlife management areas (wma). i'm guessing you would need an out of state license but not sure exactly how that would work for you. a call to texas parks and wildlife should answer any questions.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.