First time for everything- anyone else seen this before

When I reload rifle rounds, I put the cases loose into a tray after priming. I then weigh the powder charge and put it into the case (using a funnel, of course). Then I put the charged case into a loading block. After charging all of the cases, and before I start seating bullets, I use a flashlight to visually inspect the cases in the loading block. If all cases have powder I then start to seat the bullets. Someone stated that they "shake" the loaded round to ensure there is powder in it, but my loads are compressed so shaking mine don't reveal anything.

When I reload rifle rounds, I put the cases loose into a tray after priming. I then weigh the powder charge and put it into the case (using a funnel, of course). Then I put the charged case into a loading block. After charging all of the cases, and before I start seating bullets, I use a flashlight to visually inspect the cases in the loading block. If all cases have powder I then start to seat the bullets. Someone stated that they "shake" the loaded round to ensure there is powder in it, but my loads are compressed so shaking mine don't reveal anything.
Yup same here just gotta add another routine to my regiment. Make sure this doesn't happen again.

I've had a couple of dud primers in reloading over the years but This is the first time I've seen it touch the powder and not go bang anyone else experience this before
I have had this happen in the 500s&w with lge rifle primers and ar2205( 4227 ).
Worked in load testing on a warm day , when loaded and tried in colder weather wouldn't reliably fire

don't beat yourself up , we've all done it . learn a way to double check yourself and move on buddy .

yes , a primer only, will smoke the bullet base . ( see statement above for how I know )

someone mentioned a bullet getting stuck in the barrel , this is a concern . if you ever fire the gun and something seems off , empty the mag and chamber , and look through the barrel . I've never had this with a copper jacketed rifle bullet , but I did get one stuck about half way in my 1911 45acp using lead wadcutters . I noticed no recoil . I racked the slide and out came a case with no bullet . I'm glad I stopped and looked things over . I could have sent another one off very easy .

after adding powder , I try to remember to use a flashlight and look in each case before seating bullets . after seating bullets if I think dang I forgot to look with a flashlight , I weigh them on my scale . it only takes a minute with an electronic scale . I'm not looking for a couple of grains difference , I'm looking for a difference equal to the powder charge .

I also use compressed loads , so there is no shake for me, but if you're not using a compressed load this is a good test too .

I use 2 blocks, 1 on the left is ready for powder and the right is the completed 1's

And I still do a visual check on the cases before seating bullets.

Because I know how forgetful I am.

don't beat yourself up , we've all done it . learn a way to double check yourself and move on buddy .

yes , a primer only, will smoke the bullet base . ( see statement above for how I know )

someone mentioned a bullet getting stuck in the barrel , this is a concern . if you ever fire the gun and something seems off , empty the mag and chamber , and look through the barrel . I've never had this with a copper jacketed rifle bullet , but I did get one stuck about half way in my 1911 45acp using lead wadcutters . I noticed no recoil . I racked the slide and out came a case with no bullet . I'm glad I stopped and looked things over . I could have sent another one off very easy .

after adding powder , I try to remember to use a flashlight and look in each case before seating bullets . after seating bullets if I think dang I forgot to look with a flashlight , I weigh them on my scale . it only takes a minute with an electronic scale . I'm not looking for a couple of grains difference , I'm looking for a difference equal to the powder charge .

I also use compressed loads , so there is no shake for me, but if you're not using a compressed load this is a good test too .
I'm half deaf. I could shake it all I want I'm not gonna hear anything!

did you dump powder out of the case ? if not , I'll bet you forgot to add powder to this one .
I just did this last weekend out on BLM land. I primed some cases, but then figured I should load a few dummies to check magazine fit, feeding and action function.

Somehow, I mixed one of those dummy cartridges into the charged lot. The primer functioned as expected and promptly drove the bullet into the rifling. I looked at my cleaning rod when leaving the house. Nah, I won't need it. 🙄

Banging the stock on the table and then the ground wouldn't pop that puppy loose. Leason learned. Work your loads up in an organized area and manner. Maybe then, you might actually get to shoot the rifle that prompted the visit to the desert in the first place.