first time at 700yards

killerspoons

i finally decided i wanted to shoot at a target father than 100yards today so i set up my new steel target. i got in the prone position and dialed 15moa and held 1mil with the reticle and dialed 5moa for the wind. my phone app said only 14 moa but the shot went low. i believe it was because my scope does not track correctly. so after 3 shots i got it dailed in and hit the steel twice in a 3" group with my factory winchester 70 and factory winchester ammo. this was my first time shooting past 100 yards with this gun and it has impressed me so much i plan to try and move out farther with it and see how it does.

Fun, isn't it? You will have to find out whether your scope really is tracking correctly or not. Get a very accurate zero at 100, and start cranking on the dial. Measure how much elevation you get with the marks on the dial. That will let you know what it is doing.
Then, get groups at each hundred yard distance. Figure out how much elevation you need for each yardage. Then you will be able to make a drop chart for your rifle and load. No more guessing. If you use a program like JBM (online), you will probable need to tweak the speed and bc to get the numbers to match your real world data. You can then print out a drop chart and you are good to go.
Let us know how it goes.

i will have to do that! the scope is a cheap Lowen 10-40x56 scope that I bought with the rifle so i doubt it tracks right.

Big mistake, killerspoons, now you're addicted and it gets pretty expensive! :)

Good luck to you!

i finally decided i wanted to shoot at a target father than 100yards today so i set up my new steel target. i got in the prone position and dialed 15moa and held 1mil with the reticle and dialed 5moa for the wind. my phone app said only 14 moa but the shot went low. i believe it was because my scope does not track correctly. so after 3 shots i got it dailed in and hit the steel twice in a 3" group with my factory winchester 70 and factory winchester ammo. this was my first time shooting past 100 yards with this gun and it has impressed me so much i plan to try and move out farther with it and see how it does.
Outstanding.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.