First spotter! Razors

matt_3479

Hello all,

looking at my first spotter. I get good deals on vortex so will be going with a razor. My question is, should I go with 22-48x65 for the slightly lighter weight and better pack ability or the 27-60x85 for the larger mag. This will 90% be used for 700 and less and Definitely 1200 and less.
This will be used for both hunting and bench. 95% of the shooting is 600 and less and a few times a year we get to stretch the legs to 1100 but haven't got anything further. I do an annual moose hunt where it's clear cuts and back lakes that are the 1200 yards and in as northern Ontario is generally thick cover. And for my deer hunting it's almost all 600 and in.

they have a new 22-48x65 in stockbut would have to order the 27-60x85

At those ranges definitely stick with the 22-48x65 unless your doing all your stuff from the truck. No need to pack that much weight. I regularly glass from 700-1700 yards and usually stick with the little 11-33x50 for packing around light. And unless you're counting inches on a buck then I can't see any need for bigger. I would like to upgrade to the HOWA 553 though as I absolutely hate the eye cup on the 11-33x50

I have one of these and love it. Hell of a deal too

I favor a mid size scope for all around use.Im selling my 774 Kowa and my 554.To small is nice to pack,but my rifle scope is almost as good,and the small spotters are harder to glass with shakey and small field of view.

Thank you. I think I might go for it. Even if I upgrade later was just offered it at half price brand new in the box. Figured at that deal it would be a nice close range and light packing scope and can upgrade or add a second for different use weather it's the larger 27-60 or step up to a swaro or something. At 3000-4000 on the swaro though it might be some time

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.