First shot and a broken bow!!

briand7878

Hello all, I'm new to this forum and just got a Tac 15i the other day. After getting everything set up to go shooting i loaded the bow. I placed the string loop on the second latch as directed and placed my arrow where the knock is supposed to go and it depressed the anti dry fire post. When I got it cranked back about half way the shuttle lifted up from the back, ripped out of the channel, and released the arrow. After that happened i looked at the shuttle and the anti dry fire mechanism broke in half. I knew it was toast after this but tried to replicate the problem again. I placed the loop on the proper catch and started cranking it back. every single time the shuttle would come out of its groove and fly out. All I cold see was red I was so mad. I contacted PSE about the issue. They told me to take it to a dealer and they would fix everything under warranty. Any ideas what the heck is going on. I am starting to lose faith in this contraption.

Hi BrianD7878,
It sounds like a problem straight from the factory. PSE is really very good about warrantying their crossbows, so they will make it right, if given a chance.

BTW -This is why it's so important to deal with a well known deal because a large dealer can replace the needed parts quickly or just ship you a replacement if the crossbow itself is defective. Smaller dealers won't usually even know where to begin and they don't usually have great contacts at PSE.

From time to time we've seen a couple of these crossbows come from the factory with small problems, but once resolved they seem to hold up pretty well afterwards.

For the record, there are no crossbow manufacturers that produce a highly reliable product, so they all have some types of problems from time to time.

Regards,

Jon

I know it's unpleasant and disheartening to start out with something that you've spent a lot of money on, being defective right out of the box, but in a low percentage of cases it happens.

You're on the right track, so it sounds like you don't need any further feedback unless something else goes wrong.

The TAC crossbows are not the easiest to get set up and tuned properly, but once you get them dialed in they are very nice shooting weapons.

Regards,

Jon

I saw the carriage lift one time on my bow. I had just changed the string and cables, and was starting the timing, centering, and adjustment process. I hooked the string on the carriage in order to draw the string back a foot or so to give clearance to some adjustment I was making. As the mechanism was coming back, at about one foot, I saw the "sled" lifting up pretty radical. It was lifting at it's rear. The caused was the string loop not being centered, and was way of to one side. On playing with it, I found that I could get it to lift by "over turning" (past center) the string loop by about 1 1/2 turns one way or the other. Make sure the loop is centered, if not it will pull to one side forcing the carriage to want o leave the rails. It's the only idea I have if the string loop was hooked properly.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.