First Savage - Model 11 VT

• Thread starter Deleted member 46119
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 46119

Since I have resolved that my Wby VG will become a 22-250 when opportunity knocked with a Savage in 223, I answered.

Model 11 VT 223. 24"

As I understand it a "Dick's Sporting Goods" special.

The one question I don't really understand. What is the difference in Savage "models". Except for the target action, they all seem the same.

I plan on doing small caliber "switch barrel" stuff with it.

They are all the same. Differences are color, stocks.
Lots of chrome, I means options, options....

Was thinking of the old saying if it won't go, chrome it:)

What about:
Long action vs Short action?
Small shank vs large shank?

What about:
Long action vs Short action?
Small shank vs large shank?

a Savage short action is a little bit longer than a Remington, so it should be just fine for any bullet length and yet keeping the bullet in the neck instead of the shoulder area. With a .378" case diameter, a small shank is all that's needed. The 24" barrel is actually on the long side for the case size. A 22" barrel is about right. I've had them all from 15" to 26", and this round really likes a short stiff barrel. (same with a .222 I might add)
gary

Single digits are small action: 10,11,12, etc
Triple are long action: 110,111,112,etc

Unless it's a WSM which I don't think are in production anymore, only the target action is a large shank. But they are the Dane footprint anywho. The single shots have a third screw in the center where the magazine would be

So to regurgitate to see if I get it.

Model 11 = small action, small shank.

24" vs 22", well I've all ways preferred longer over shorter.

shooting 55 grain bullets in a 26" barrel at near max loads, verses the same bullet in a 20" barrel was a whopping 74 fps. With a powder burn rate adjustment, the difference is slightly under 50 fps. The same loading in a 22" barrel (different rifle) was almost identical to the 26" barrel.
gary

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.