First rifle build

duckaholic25

Looking to build my first rifle, and need some advice. I have been looking at actions like crazy for the past few days and I dont know if I can bring myself to spend that much money on a custom action. My question is would it be worth building a rifle on a factory action, and which one.

Well, you can spend big money on a custom action, but I like Savage actions, from a good ol Model 12 for SS with a magazine and accutrigger in a short action, to a Target Action for large shank barrels. Or even 112 for long actions.

And lots of aftermarket parts, from good barrels from McGowan and Shilen or even Brux, to machined recoil lugs, and triggers from SSS.

And lots of stocks.

So, for the price of an action alone you can get it all.

Just an idea.

Larry
Tinkerer

Another option is to use a Rem 700 and have it blueprinted. If you already have the donor action, the blue printing usually runs about $200-250, so you can still come out a lot cheaper than a custom action.

I used a Savage 111 for my 338-06 AI build. 26" McGowan barrel, Timney trigger, Talley rings, and am just waiting for the custom laminate stock to be finished. Grand total (so far, haven't decided on a scope yet) is about $1000 including the donor rifle.
Bought another 111 in 300 Win Mag for a second build, but not sure if I want to pull it apart as it will put 5 shots in 1" at 200 yards.

Looking to build my first rifle, and need some advice. I have been looking at actions like crazy for the past few days and I dont know if I can bring myself to spend that much money on a custom action. My question is would it be worth building a rifle on a factory action, and which one.

Are we talking a hunting rifle or a benchrest shooter ? If its gonna be a hunting rifle then no, unless you feel you have alot of extra cash lying around. A Savage factory action trued up would be very good to build upon.What caliber were you thinking ?

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.