First rifle build help

BoomFlop

I am looking to do my first rifle build and would like some input from all of you that have experience.

I am a new hand loader. I have a couple Remington LTR's topped with Swarovski Z3's that are extremely accurate (consistently under 1/2" at 100 yards) and a Remington Mountain rifle in 7mm-08 with Leopoldo VX-III 2.5-8x36 that is consistently at 3/4" and under.

Our Wisconsin deer season is only 9 days long. My son and I coyote hunt as much as possible. I would like to hunt western mule deer and antelope (we are mainly archery hunters) with a rifle in the future. So this rifle I want for mule deer down to coyotes. Although I do not shoot long range, I would like it to be capable. I also want the least amount of recoil while still accomplishing quick kills.

I am thinking that it will be a Big Horn Origin action, with H-S stock and bottom metal and Trigger Tech Primary.

22 Creedmoor with 80.5 gr Berger (Bartlein 7.7 twist in 3B or Proof Carbon 8 twist).
OR
6 Creedmoor with 105 gr Berger (Bartlein 7.5 twist in 3B or Proof Carbon 7.5 or 8 twist)
OR
?????

What are your thoughts? I'd like to keep it around $2000 ish without optic.

I'll probably go with a 3-15x44 Leupold VX5HD with Wind Plex.

Thanks
Steve

with mule deer on the table I would not do the 22 it can and will kill deer just not the best option I hate to say this but I think a 6.5 will fit your needs or wants better nice thing about the origin just get the 22 creed barrel also a quick easy swap I would get hold of russ at bugholes they can sell you the action and thread and chamber the barrel or barrels of your choice and they do great work

Last edited:
I have thought about a 6.5-284 or PRC but I think the recoil would be on the heavier side for coyotes. Hmm

Vast majority will be coyotes and targets. So, I'm thinking I want to lean towards lighter recoil.

Would both barrels have to be made at same time?

Leaning Big Horn as it is reasonable priced with pre fits available.

Steve

I'm not sure the 6.5 Creed does anything my 7mm-08 or 308 won't do at practical ranges these will be used and a muzzle break for my style of hunting is not an option. Too many surprise shot opportunities for putting on ear muffs or plugs.

Steve

Well I would use the 7mm-08 or 308 on mule deer. A 22cal just isn't enough for mule deer. Yes people have killed them with 22s, but I wouldn't want to take the risk all the time.

I agree do a switch barrel setup and you can change the bolt face on the big horn action very easy. I would maybe consider a different stock. Look at the grayboe Phoenix I really like the style of this stock. Plus it's not to heavy. I run the vx5hd exact scope your talking about on my coyote rifle it's a good scope. Wish the reticle was thinner and had moa hasmarks for elevation too.

Between the two, I'd likely go with the 6mm. As others have stated, some states won't allow the use of 22 caliber for large game/deer. The only reason I would go with the 22 is to save pelts, and even that would be questionable. Its a compromise either way. Your blessed to have the choice.

I probably wouldn't be shooting deer with a 22 creed if it was me. Pretty small bullet. Id go minimum of a 6mm creed. 6mm creed will give you that flat shooting light recoil your looking for. Id probably still leave the 6mm at home though for mule deer. Me personally even on whitetails I like a 6.5mm or bigger diameter. I wouldn't worry about too much recoil for coyotes. Ive shot them with my 7mm rem mags and never thought of recoil to be an issue. If you really want this to be a do all kinds deal id seriously consider stepping up to a 6.5 creed or a 6.5 prc. I know you said you have a 7mm-08 in a remington mountain rifle so a 6.5 creed overlaps alittle, but you'll have a setup alittle more conducive to long range shooting. I just don't think 22s and 6mms make good all arounders. You could make it your dedicated coyote rifle and use the 7mm-08 on mules as well.

Hmmm...I think your budget is incredibly tight for a custom action rifle....
Action - $900
Trigger - $150
bottom metal - $200
Stock - $500
Barrel - $700
Brake - $250

If you built off a Tikka...
Action, Trigger, Bottom Metal - $600
Stock - Bell and Carlson - $400
Barrel - $700
Brake - $250

As for caliber, I get that mule deer aren't like stopping an elephant, but I like 6.5 as kind of a minimum caliber, especially at distance.

Of course you should look and drool over the Sherman's before making your final selection. I like 6.5X284, 6.5x55(60KSI), 6.5-06AI, 7mm-08, 280AI, 6.5 PRC

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.