First Results from my 300 Ultra

W

*WyoWhisper*

Ok guys... take a look at this data..

300RUM Nor-cal Nighthawk built by Jerry Rice.
A3 McMillan, Jewell trigger, 27" K&P #6 fluted barrel, tactical vent system.

I was shooting the 190 SMK's. S1 told me that H1000 works and I had a pound so I tried it.

my comments.. uhhhh yup it works!!

2, 3 shot groups @ .325, this is the first 20 rounds down the tube!!

average muzzle velocity 3150 fps, using only 90 grs. of H1000 ( sierra says I need 94 grs.)With the 190SMK that leaves me 1400 ft. lbs at 1000 yards!!

OK , I'm a little happy.. Woo Hoo!!!
grin.gif
grin.gif

[ 05-11-2003: Message edited by: *WyoWhisper* ]

Hey Hey, That is some real good data!! It's information that we can all use, and that will help keep this board alive. Your success with your rifle and loads sure has impressed me, and has tweeked my interest in the 300 RUM
cool.gif
But tell me, how could you have obtained such good results by using that horrible Remington brass
wink.gif
wink.gif

When I prep may brass I do the following

trim and champfer the neck. I use the VLD style.

I debur the flash hole then bevel the outside and inside of the flash hole.

I also turn the necks of each case to "clean them up" I take off just brass to make the entire neck shinny.

I then resize and check trim length.

Load and shoot....

Ok lil Ricky, calm down and breath
wink.gif
. Just think when you get it broke in better have the wife standing by so that she can catch you when you fall
grin.gif

So what is it that makes it a Nighthawk?

Ric

Sounds like the 300 RUM is working for you.

The accuracy at 3150 and the 190 gr is very good also.

Was just running some numbers and this is interesting.

You could have a two fold rifle there. One for deer (190 gr) and one for elk (240 Grs).

At 3150 FPS using the 190 gr it will take you "86"--1/4 Min clicks to reach 1000 yards. You will have a velocity left of 1729 FPS and energy of 1262 FP.

At 3000 FPS using the 240 Gr MK it will take you exactly "86 clicks" to reach 1000 yards and it will arrive at that distance with 1850 FPS remaining and have 1825 FP of energy left.

The 300 gr 338 has given me excellent killing power on elk at extreme range and the exit holes are huge. The 240s work well also. We have only recovered two 300 gr bullets from elk after they had penitrated the whole body (sideways) and lodged on the far side just inside the hide and they were mushroomed perfectly with very little lead core lost. The MK will hold together very nicely and also expand on contact. They won't blow up which I don't want them to do, especially on an elk. We can't always place the shot "exactly" where we want it to go. It will be close but sometimes not EXACT. Every LR hunter, one time or another, has experianced this.

Berger and JLK (J40 jackets) will/can blow up and this could be a bad situation if a solid bone shot is made especially on elk.

Heard of a LR hunter one time that used a high expanding, blow up on contact (thin jacket) bullet, and hit an elk in the shoulder. To my knowledge, that elk is still running. He used the same bullet he used for PA deer. It was a Hornady 162 Gr HPBT in his 7/300 Weatherby. He switched to Sierra MKs at that point and has killed many elk since.

Glad the H1000 is working with the 190 Bullets.

Good luck to you.
DC
smile.gif

[ 05-11-2003: Message edited by: Darryl Cassel ]

Ric
I'm out of State at present and won't be back in PA till next Thursday.

I can send you some 240s if you can't find any by then.

As per the 6.5/284---you might want to try the H4831 or H4350 powders. I have three new 6.5/284s for Williamsport 1000 yd matches and with the 30" 8 1/2 twist barrels, the H4350 works the best. I tried the H1000 but it seems too slow for the 136 to 142 gr bullets. seems with the 6.5/284 case you have to get a faster burning powder to make it work better.

49 1/2 Grs of H4350 is giving me 2987 to 3000 FPS from the 284 case.
You might want to try it. I had the first five shots inside of 3" at the last 1000 yard match with that load.

Let me know about the bullets if you can't find any.

Later
DC
smile.gif

Wyo,
I will be getting a lot of 500 / 240s in in afew days if you want some I can sell you a few. Just let me know what you want to do.

Sweet!! That looks promising now doesn't it!
cool.gif

Watch out when Ric gets that load "really" tuned
shocked.gif
grin.gif

Man it's nice and calm out, maybe I'll get some fired off today too.

Thanks for the info DC!!! I sorta thought that but hadn't yet run the numbers.. hmmmm.. anyone have a few 240's they wanna part with? Looks like I'm buyin' Not many just about 100 or so.... e-mail me....

Texas,

My wife shoots better than me in the small calibers...!!

The Nighthawk is Jerry's Tactical model .. gots lotsa bells and whistles. Cut and paste below...
http://www.norcalprecision.com/nighthawk.html

Brent
I hope to get this thing tuned within the next few weeks.. I have a few PD hunters I'm taking to Casper.. I'd like to nail one at 1500 with it...

S1,

Thanks for the tip on the H1000 I love that stuff in the 6.5/284 too!!

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.