First precision build

Kyzual

I'm wanting to build a 7mm-08 precision rifle to hunt anything from light deer/antelope to heavy elk/hogs out to 500 yards. I always try to get closer but want to know it can do the job out there just in case.

Looking to push a 162gr AMAX, 162gr ELD-X, or 168 Hunting VLD at least 2700fps to meet my requirement of at least 2000fps at 500 yards. Other recommendations are welcome and to be clear I don't reload yet and need the rifle first to justify reloading.

The loads will have to be mag length since I will be building a box mag rifle.

End game result is a rifle that weighs 10lbs or less with Atlas bipod, sling, and Nightforce scope that can meet my criteria above with good groups at 500 yards (6" kill zone be the absolute max group)

What I really need help with is what barrel length, contour, and twist rate? What stock for shooting prone while staying under 10lbs? (I like Manners and McMillan) I also like the Surgeon and BAT Tactical actions with the solid rail on top...anyone else recommend these or have other suggestions?

If anyone has built anything similar I would love to see it and hear how you like it.

Welcome to LRH and enjoy!

Try a custom search query (on of the best tool provided by this site, yet very under-utilized) on the top right hand corner, and see what you get.

Others will be here shortly to chime in. Good luck and happy safe shooting/hunting.

I've been tossing around building it as a 7mm Rem Mag also so recommendations on that would be much appreciated too.

If I went 7mm Rem Mag it would be to max perform the same bullets I wanted in the 7mm-08 since it is still for hunting. And I wouldn't be worried about weight with this one.

So what barrel length and twist rate is recommended for both rounds and what velocities will I get out of each?

7mm is a good choice for what you're describing, although I doubt you'll get 2700 fps with a 7mm-08. You might get there pushing it hard with a long barrel. I would look at the .284 Winchester if you're planning to reload. It's still a short action cartridge but has a good bit more case capacity. You could easily hit 2800 fps with the 162s out of a 24" barrel. If you want to go with a long action the .280 AI is an excellent choice, and has better availability of factory brass and ammo.

I would get a 1:9 twist in either of those calibers, 24" long. That will stabilize anything up to 180 grains. If you go with a 7mm Mag I'd go 26" 1:8 since it has ample horsepower to shoot the new Berger 195 grain bullets.

My choice would be a 24" fluted #5 barrel with a 1:9 twist chambered in .284 or .280 AI.

I built one for the exact reasons you want one. Game out to 600 with low enough recoil to not need a muzzlebrake. I went with a 25" Rock Creek #3 contour in a McMillan stock with a Zeiss 6.5-20x50 weighing 9.75 lbs. I built it on a long action so I could throat it out long enough for the 162-168's. I use 45.2 grains of H4350 with the 162's running 2745 with a very low Es and no pressure in Nosler brass. However, if you don't throat it out long enough you'll never get the same speed without pressure but it will be a single feed in a short action.

I've noticed some people getting good results from using a slightly slower powder in longer barrels usually around 26"

Anyone with experience??

Does "throating out" mean extending the chamber to fit a longer bullet in?

And wouldn't that keep you from being able to shoot standard length factory ammo?

Factory ammo option is important to me.

if factory ammo is on your menu, skip the 284 win, you'll win the lottery before you find a box on the shelf. On that note, you can't beat the availability and variety of 7mm Rem Mag on just about every shelf in the country.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.