first post thanks to everyone

longrange700

well I have been reading this site for almost a year now and I feel like I can post now, I must say you have made getting into long range shooting much easier than I thought, I bought a rem 700 xcr ltr in 308 win and all the reloading stuff. I was able to make my handloads very accurate without alot of waste, the gun is awesome it will shoot 168,and 175 smk in one hole at 100 and I have shot lots of rocks at 700-1000. I am currently hunting with 178 a-maxs at 2740.

I have one question it shoots .5 inch groups with the a-maxs and 45 grains of varget no pressure signs, should I try more powder I really see no need but I have to ask
p.s they group well at longer ranges than the smk I do not think they are asleep yet at 100 because they have never shot better than .5 no-matter what I did to the load just printed a 3.75 three shot group at 650 yesterday.

again I cannot thank you all enough, some of you guys know more about rifle shooting than I thought even excisted, thanks a ton and keep the good info coming.

Welcome to the ranks, Your on your way. Sounds like you got a good Remmy.

I am currently hunting with 178 a-maxs at 2740.

I have one question it shoots .5 inch groups with the a-maxs and 45 grains of varget no pressure signs, should I try more powder

That would be up to you. Pushing a 178grain bullet at 2740 in a 308 is awesome.

45 grains of Varget is a max load for many. If you decide to go up, proceed carefully. I would suggest .2 increments and check each round carefully for pressure signs.

Last edited:
It sounds like you already have your load. I wouldn't mess with it. I'm only getting 2610 fps with 175 SMK's and that's with a pretty stout load of IMR-4064. It sounds like you got a good one though.

longrange700,
Welcome to LRH. It is an addictive place to hang out, ain't it? You're obviously a very good student with some natural ability as a rifleman. Sounds like you've already got a good load going on with that .308 and 178's. You're off to a good start, but you've only touched the tip of the iceberg!.
Next year this time you'll be like the rest of us, selling everything you own, living on the streets, eating outta trash cans just to finance another rifle/build. Sad state of affairs, but it's the nature of the beast. :)
Good luck and hope to see ya here again on the forums. JohnnyK.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts