First PA Black Bear!!!

That would have been Bill and D Rankin from Pittsburg.
They were very good friends of mine for many years.
Bill is gone, i spoke with D last fall on the phone, but he can no longer hunt.
Their camp is near Sterling run above May Hollow, they had numerous lookouts around the Masons Hill area.
The Colonel was a man by name of Eaton, who was a WW1 aviator and later owned a Ford car agency in Emporium.
His land and home were along 555 just west of Driftwood, some of it just opposite our camp on Mix Run Rd.
They probably gave you names like Howard Wolfe and Gene Graybil, both now gone also.
You are exactly right. We had multiple guns of Howard's and even had one of Gene,s actions. Also an old timer who dealt with Barr and Stroud rangefinders but forgot his name. He gave me a set of original instructions for it Richie Kepp also was one of mentors. The valley we met them was above Eatons and the Rankins were sure having a good time on that lookout point. My buddy and I walked down to 555 from there.

You are exactly right. We had multiple guns of Howard's and even had one of Gene,s actions. Also an old timer who dealt with Barr and Stroud rangefinders but forgot his name. He gave me a set of original instructions for it Richie Kepp also was one of mentors. The valley we met them was above Eatons and the Rankins were sure having a good time on that lookout point. My buddy and I walked down to 555 from there.
As for the Barr&Stroud rangefinder, that would have been Harry Kieser from Williamsport.
The Kepp brothers both Larry and Ritchie, were actually the ones along with a few of their friends including Frank Weber, who brought modern day long range hunting to that area.
Prior to them coming there, nobody was using large tripod mounted glasses and dialing scopes.
Larry died at age 42 of cancer in 1977, and Richie died 3 years ago from alzheimers.
The camp is still used by Rich Jr and a few other family members.
Frank and his sons still hunt in the area and have a camp in Driftwood.

As for the Barr&Stroud rangefinder, that would have been Harry Kieser from Williamsport.
The Kepp brothers both Larry and Ritchie, were actually the ones along with a few of their friends including Frank Weber, who brought modern day long range hunting to that area.
Prior to them coming there, nobody was using large tripod mounted glasses and dialing scopes.
Larry died at age 42 of cancer in 1977, and Richie died 3 years ago from alzheimers.
The camp is still used by Rich Jr and a few other family members.
Frank and his sons still hunt in the area and have a camp in Driftwood.
Nice talking to you Yobuck. We are still a long range hunting but in different areas. Moved to different cartridges 338 edge 300 WinMag laser rangefinder's and all the new toys. Still remember the old days quite vividly. We rolled some bears and a lot of deer. It most likely will never be the same

Nice talking to you Yobuck. We are still a long range hunting but in different areas. Moved to different cartridges 338 edge 300 WinMag laser rangefinder's and all the new toys. Still remember the old days quite vividly. We rolled some bears and a lot of deer. It most likely will never be the same
300 PRC 300 RUM 338 Lapua But the old cartridges did just as well!

They sound like some good old boys. My two kids hunt Pennsylvania and buy a non-resident
bear license for New Jersey. They shoot a lot of black bears. My Grandson shot a 500 Lb. bear
over in N.J. with his 20 gauge 1100 Remington. Their group shot 4 over in the Pocono's this
season.

Zeke

I lived in Bucks county for 64 years Zeke, From the lower part to the upper part and a few places in the middle.
4 kids graduated from Pennridge, and a couple great grandkids still go there.
God how i miss that place. lol
Zeeman, yes we have all (upgraded) our equiptment, but we havent upgraded the results have we?

Nice talking to you Yobuck. Pennsylvania is a great place to live. It just upsets me
that I have to go to New Jersey for an ocean. I'm not fond of New Jersey the most
anti-gun state in the Union other than California, New York and Illinois I probably
left a few out.

Zeke

Nice talking to you Yobuck. Pennsylvania is a great place to live. It just upsets me
that I have to go to New Jersey for an ocean. I'm not fond of New Jersey the most
anti-gun state in the Union other than California, New York and Illinois I probably
left a few out.

Zeke
Just joking of coarse, yes it really isnt a bad place to be, especially where you are.
As for the ocean and the fishing, thats what brought me to Florida.
But living where you do, the Delaware/ Ocean city Md area is a good choice also. Especially if you like deep water closer to shore.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.