First PA Black Bear!!!

Congratulations! With any luck, and none of the camp members coming down with the Wu Han Flu in the next few hours, we'll be in Wharton Twnshp on Friday!

After 15 years of hunting bears in PA I finally got a shot at one during bear season! It's not a big bear but it's a trophy to me. This is also the first year that I decided to pack in a long range rig to hunt across the valley to the next slope. After about 3 hours of watching, a bear meandered down the slope from the top, half way down and at 658 yards it turned broadside and I connected on the first shot! I was shooting a 300 WM built on a trued Remington 700 wearing a 28" Krieger and a McMillan stock.View attachment 227436View attachment 227437
Any dead bear is a good bear!!! At least in Pa Ny where they're cleaning out the fawning!!!!

After 15 years of hunting bears in PA I finally got a shot at one during bear season! It's not a big bear but it's a trophy to me. This is also the first year that I decided to pack in a long range rig to hunt across the valley to the next slope. After about 3 hours of watching, a bear meandered down the slope from the top, half way down and at 658 yards it turned broadside and I connected on the first shot! I was shooting a 300 WM built on a trued Remington 700 wearing a 28" Krieger and a McMillan stock.View attachment 227436View attachment 227437
That Bear should be honored to fall to such a nice rifle.
Cook'm up they are tasty.
Congrats

Congratulations on your Bruin! Good looking rifle. What contour is that Krieger?

Well congratulations on your first bear.
I wonder how that little clearing just happened to be at that spot? lol
Would there happen to be a hard curve on a dirt road right below you having a name beginning with the letter M ?
And about about a mile or so up the valley from Rt 120 ?
I think I have been there too Yobuck,,

I think I have been there too Yobuck,,
My first encounter with long range hunting in Pa was with a bunch led by the Reinkens( Sp?) In the late 80's early 90's. Met them on a lookout near Houston Hill? Above a place we called the "Colonels". They were quite friendly and gave us phone numbers of gunsmiths and a bunch of info!, They actually started it all for our group. We were stunned at what they could do at LR. Will never forget that day!!!!

My first encounter with long range hunting in Pa was with a bunch led by the Reinkens( Sp?) In the late 80's early 90's. Met them on a lookout near Houston Hill? Above a place we called the "Colonels". They were quite friendly and gave us phone numbers of gunsmiths and a bunch of info!, They actually started it all for our group. We were stunned at what they could do at LR. Will never forget that day!!!!
That would have been Bill and D Rankin from Pittsburg.
They were very good friends of mine for many years.
Bill is gone, i spoke with D last fall on the phone, but he can no longer hunt.
Their camp is near Sterling run above May Hollow, they had numerous lookouts around the Masons Hill area.
The Colonel was a man by name of Eaton, who was a WW1 aviator and later owned a Ford car agency in Emporium.
His land and home were along 555 just west of Driftwood, some of it just opposite our camp on Mix Run Rd.
They probably gave you names like Howard Wolfe and Gene Graybil, both now gone also.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts