First NF

375fan

I'm new to posting on this sight, but have been on here reading and looking for information. Today I ordered my first NF from Bearbasin. It is a nxs 2.5x10x32 with np-r2 reticle with covered turrets. It is going on a hunting/target rifle. A 300winmag, post 64 action with 25 in lilja barrel,.650 at the muzzle,synthetic stock and completely ceracoted, adjustable trigger. From reading on this website and others where the topic is long range shooting the NF seems to be the favorite choice with superior adjustment reliability( what I want as I like to play with different loads). Presently it is wearing a vari-x 111 2.5x8, which when I make an adjustment who knows where it will go. The hunting load for this rifle is a 180 tsx at 3050 fps which when I do my part will cloverleaf at 100 yards.
The one piece of advice I would really like from you guys is how or what you do to get your reticles in correct alignment/level with rifle. Presently I use the level on the scope cap and level on the action rails, but I still feel like I have to constantly adjust scope before it seems right. Thanks in advance for the advice.
Thanks, Jeff

Jeff - What you are doing is a good starting point. An easy way to do this is take a target with 1" squares in it, like the Winchester target, and staple it at 50 yds. using a 2' level at the top to be sure the target is very level. Then, with rifle in good solid front and rear bags, use those same levels on your scope turret cap and another on the action rails. When those agree, check the lines on the target. Does your cross wire line up with them? Then move your scope around a box: 8 clicks right, 8 clicks down, 8 clicks left, and finally 8 clicks up. The reticule should return to point of beginning. Fire one shot each at the same corners, and see if impact is very close to each corner. If so, yer right on.

QUOTE=375fan;401617]I'm new to posting on this sight, but have been on here reading and looking for information. Today I ordered my first NF from Bearbasin. It is a nxs 2.5x10x32 with np-r2 reticle with covered turrets. It is going on a hunting/target rifle. A 300winmag, post 64 action with 25 in lilja barrel,.650 at the muzzle,synthetic stock and completely ceracoted, adjustable trigger. From reading on this website and others where the topic is long range shooting the NF seems to be the favorite choice with superior adjustment reliability( what I want as I like to play with different loads). Presently it is wearing a vari-x 111 2.5x8, which when I make an adjustment who knows where it will go. The hunting load for this rifle is a 180 tsx at 3050 fps which when I do my part will cloverleaf at 100 yards.
The one piece of advice I would really like from you guys is how or what you do to get your reticles in correct alignment/level with rifle. Presently I use the level on the scope cap and level on the action rails, but I still feel like I have to constantly adjust scope before it seems right. Thanks in advance for the advice.
Thanks, Jeff[/QUOTE]

When mounting a new scope, I typically use a gun vise or rifle rest like one from Caldwell's. I try to make sure that the rifle is set straight in the rest using a bubble level and visual. Next comes the target. I will use a clean sheet of butcher paper, or the back side of a target. I place the target with stand out about 50 yds. and then I run a plumb line using heavy washers/lead to establish a true perpendicular line. I then mark and draw that line with a magic marker & square to establish my base line and aiming point. It looks like an inverted "T".

Now that I have both the rifle and the target set, I will rotate the scope in its loose rings until the vertical stadia matches up with my perpendicular line on the target. I then tighten the rings.

I then proceed to zero my scope until my bullet holes match where I am aiming. To confirm everything is lined up without any cant in the scope, I will fire a round at the lower end of my plumb line (maybe it hits 1/16" left /right of the line). I then dial up approx. 25-30 MOA (depends on how much travel you have in your scope) and shoot again. If you have done things correctly, a new hole will appear at the same distance to the right /left of the line as your first shot. If it does, then I set my anti-cant device (bubble) and I am good to go. I then dial back down and shoot a standard box to make sure that the scope itself is tracking the way it should.

The process is a little involved, but once it is done correctly you don't have to worry about it again. LR shooting has a lot to do with confidence, as well as great equipment. This exercise will increase your confidence in your scope.

My first NF arrived and I love and am impressed with it. Compared the optics to a Leupold vx-3, vx-111, and LPS that I have and must say the NF is superior to my eyes. Have played with the adjustments and the consistency was what I had wanted. I now understand why you guys on this site are are so high on the NF scopes.
Thanks guys for the tips on checking alignment of crosshairs to bore.

375fan, congratulations on getting your NF. I'm assuming the NSX versus BR, what power and recticle?

375fan: Thanks for starting the thread. I just purchased my first NF as well (NXS 3.5-15x56) and had a similar question.

My experience has been hunting rifles with ranges inside the maximum point blank range of the round. I'd align the reticle using a vertical surface like the edge of the wall and use a counter top for the horizontal line. Understand the wall probably wasn't plump and the counter not level but for shooting inside of 350 yards (most shots inside of 150 yards), the impact was negligible or I was lucky. I expect it was more of the latter given the posts in this thread and the article on Reticle Perpendicularity.

Appears I have some work to do on these hunting rifles and the scopes mounted on them.

Marine24,
After mounting and going thru everything to get reticle level and where I thought it should be I went to range. There after getting zeroed, I did what azsugarbear suggested in his post (running up 24-30 moa) found out I was close but not quite perfect. Had tools with me and ever so slightly realigned scope. Thank goodness only took one time, but got it where it was right. Have scope mounted in quick release rings don't want to go thru the mounting process again, altho I'm looking at getting another NF for a different rifle.
Good luck, Jeff

Thanks Jeff. I'll plan on bringing my tools with me as well, but may need to rethink the rings I'm using on the Nightforce. I like the following point Darrel made in his 2008 thread about "Reticle Perdenticularity"

Imagine the potential if you used the same mounting system on ALL your rifles. ( I like the Picatinny rail and MK. 4 rings)

You can plumb the scope in one set of rings and change from rifle to rifle with the same repeatability!

Always been skeptical about the concept, but I wasn't following the steps he laid out either.

Mike

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.