First Mule Deer hunt

Just drove 1700 miles from home to Laramie Wyoming to visit a friend for a few days. Next Friday I am off for a Colorado mule deer hunt, my first with my new 6.5 SAUM.

This was the first time driving solo out west. I've done it before with companions. Honestly, it was good windshield time. Lots of time to think thoughts through in detail, and to enjoy the scenery.

My only complaint is my fuel mileage sucks on my new RAM Rebel. When I get home, I am going back to a diesel. I have trips planned out for the next several years and I intend to drive to each of them - I hate flying and checking my guns. I've done it, but I just don't like it.

Wish me luck. Hoping to come home with a punched tag.
I have not driven a gas powered truck since 1983.I drove to Wyoming and over to Nebraska & SD state line to hunt. I'm sure glad I was in my Dodge Ram Diesel. I dont like checking my guns at airport either. I've had things come up missing. Not a gun but a range finder and spotting scope. Good Luck on you next hunt.

While I am a fan of the Cummins engine, I am not so much of the shipping crate it comes in. I just took a trip out to WY from KS along the I-80. Ran about 14 going out and 15 coming home. '01 F-150 5.4L. Great territory in the Snowys and Sierras.

Very surprising. I have a Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 With 5.7 Hemi. If I stick it on cruise at 75 I will get 19 mpg with properly inflated tires. That's not taking in consideration high elevations and mountains. Be prepared to take a pretty big hit on depreciation. But forget all that now, your going on a mule deer hunt real soon. Good luck and enjoy yourself!

Good luck on your hunt! I prefer driving too. Not as common these days but some new trucks just don't get fuel mileage until they get broken in with about 20k or so. Headwinds,speed and hills kill mileage. I average about 16-18 with the 5.7 hemi. You can't beat a Cummings though!- Traveled all over the country in mine. If you decide to keep the gassed then a good tuner will help the fuel milage.

I don't know Chica, my 2009 Ram 2500 averages at least 16 going to CO loaded with 3 guys and gear. Are you sure your warp speed speedometer is reading right?😅 My Brother in Law police chief never knew there was a speed below 90 mph and wondering hmmmm. Quite a few years back, another buddy was driving and he was a LEO and we were pulled over and he was doing 90+. Trooper walks up to truck and my other buddy says "throw the dope out the window!". Of course without thinking I say he won't fit! Unfortunately my LEO buddy had his window down and the trooper heard us. Now the real funs begins for our LEO buddy. The trooper pulls him out even showing badge and ID and takes him back to cruiser which we later find out is so we don't hear him getting his butt whipped by trooper. Comes back to truck, tells us no ticket no thanks to us and tells us we we lucky we weren't detained for full body cavity search and vehicle search. Of course we reminded him it was his truck. He thought he would be fine at 3AM on I80 in NE but guess otherwise.

One last question: does your speedometer start at 75?😂 All my LEO buds tell me that especially on Interstates!

All kidding aside: Thank you! Its tough to be a LEO and I appreciate what you do! I do enjoy busting my LEO pals though, dirty job but someone has to do it!😁

I don't know Chica, my 2009 Ram 2500 averages at least 16 going to CO loaded with 3 guys and gear. Are you sure your warp speed speedometer is reading right?😅 My Brother in Law police chief never knew there was a speed below 90 mph and wondering hmmmm. Quite a few years back, another buddy was driving and he was a LEO and we were pulled over and he was doing 90+. Trooper walks up to truck and my other buddy says "throw the dope out the window!". Of course without thinking I say he won't fit! Unfortunately my LEO buddy had his window down and the trooper heard us. Now the real funs begins for our LEO buddy. The trooper pulls him out even showing badge and ID and takes him back to cruiser which we later find out is so we don't hear him getting his butt whipped by trooper. Comes back to truck, tells us no ticket no thanks to us and tells us we we lucky we weren't detained for full body cavity search and vehicle search. Of course we reminded him it was his truck. He thought he would be fine at 3AM on I80 in NE but guess otherwise.

One last question: does your speedometer start at 75?😂 All my LEO buds tell me that especially on Interstates!

All kidding aside: Thank you! Its tough to be a LEO and I appreciate what you do! I do enjoy busting my LEO pals though, dirty job but someone has to do it!😁

That is a fabulous story. Makes me recall the fun days of being on patrol. Thankful those days are long gone.

Seriously though, I was not crushing the speed. This truck just SUCKS on MPG. It is gone by spring. I did this same trip last year in my 2500 diesel and averaged over 22MPG.

Victoria

Geez, are you towing something? My Ram averaged 19.5 daily, 60 miles round trip on rural roads mainly... for over 100K miles. Had a 3.5" lift, camper shell and 285 70r 18 TA KOs. I did have a trip to WY a couple years ago whereas the S.D. wind averaged 65 mph all the way across... and my mileage dropped to 13.5 mpg.
My 2020 Silverado 5.3 has a 2" lift and 275 75r 18 Cooper all terrains and does about 1-1.5 mpg worse than the Ram did. The Silverado pulls the camper very well and has about everything you could imagine as options... but darn I miss my Ram. Impulse trade and peer pressure sucks.

Nope, not towing anything. I just think this trucks sucks for fuel mileage. My other 1500 RAMs did far better. I was getting about 18ish in them.

Just drove 1700 miles from home to Laramie Wyoming to visit a friend for a few days. Next Friday I am off for a Colorado mule deer hunt, my first with my new 6.5 SAUM.

This was the first time driving solo out west. I've done it before with companions. Honestly, it was good windshield time. Lots of time to think thoughts through in detail, and to enjoy the scenery.

My only complaint is my fuel mileage sucks on my new RAM Rebel. When I get home, I am going back to a diesel. I have trips planned out for the next several years and I intend to drive to each of them - I hate flying and checking my guns. I've done it, but I just don't like it.

Wish me luck. Hoping to come home with a punched tag.
If you ride a big horse you have to feed him , just saying . Have fun and be careful

I was foolish for getting rid of my previous 2500. But such is life. I had the EGR deleted in that truck and it got great mileage. Looking forward to going back to a Cummings diesel.
My son has a 2016 crew cab 4wd flatbed 3500 ram Cummins. He gets 20 mpg on country roads. Will get 22 on a straight highway trip. You need a long straight road in front if you decide to lay the hammer down in that truck cause it's going. We've got a challenger RT and from a 40mph kick, l think it would hang with the challenger.

My son has a 2016 crew cab 4wd flatbed 3500 ram Cummins. He gets 20 mpg on country roads. Will get 22 on a straight highway trip. You need a long straight road in front if you decide to lay the hammer down in that truck cause it's going. We've got a challenger RT and from a 40mph kick, l think it would hang with the challenger.
Good luck brother!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.